Friday, April 21, 2017

To-Die-For Black Bean Quinoa Burgers




Some years ago I started really getting into cooking with quinoa.  It's high protein and super versatile.

I started following and reading Wendy Polisi's books and website.  Let's just say she's the queen of all things quinoa.  I've purchased several of her e-books in a very inexpensive bundle.  I've also had our local library buy her books.  I secretly always feel good about ordering books for the library because I like knowing other people are going to benefit from reading them too.  It's a way to pay it forward.

As I mentioned, Wendy has several books.  She also has several quinoa burger recipes.  This one specifically came from her first book The Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook.

It is a little higher in points than I usually like but sometimes you just gotta have what you're craving.

I've tried so, so many different vegan and vegetarian burgers of all types and this is truly my absolute favorite.

To be upfront and honest it's a bit of cooking so if you're someone who doesn't like to cook this may not be the recipe for you.  Also, it's on the spicy side.  If you're not into hot and spicy you need to reduce the heat or forego this one.

Or...  maybe this is a recipe you need to find someone to make for you(yes, I'm totally laughing here).

A quick word about cooking with quinoa.  Before you cook with it you need to rinse the resin(saponin) off by using a very fine mesh strainer. If you don't it will be bitter.
There are also several different types of quinoa but the most readily available are the white, red and black.  My personal favorite is the red.



When it's cooked it goes from looking like the seed it is to looking like it has a little tail on it.

The recipe I usually use to cook plain quinoa is to boil 1 1/4 cup water and then add 1 cup rinsed quinoa.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes covered.
Then take it off the heat and let it sit covered for five more minutes and then fluff with a fork.

I find this recipe is the best.  Others I've tried seem to overcook and stick to the pan and some are so wet at the end of cooking that you have to drain it.  What a hassle!    

On to the recipe!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cooked black beans(I buy canned and rinse them)

1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce

1 onion, chopped fine

6 cloves garlic, minced(I know it sounds like a lot but it's really good!)

2 Tbsp tomato paste

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1/2 tsp chili powder

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground pepper

1 cup cooked quinoa

1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup cilantro, minced(I used 1 Tbsp dried)

1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)

3 Tbsp walnut oil, divided(this is pricey so don't feel like it has to be walnut oil-use what you have)


Instructions

Place 1/2 cup of the black beans in the bowl of the food processor with the chipotle chili.  Pulse until well combined.  I ended up having to use 1-2 Tbsp of water to get it to blend properly.  I also used my smaller bowl insert for the food processor.  Combine with remainder of black beans in a large bowl.

Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce 






Heat skillet sprayed with olive oil spray over medium heat.  Add onion and cook for 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic, tomato past, crushed red pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for one more minute.  Remove from heat and combine with black bean mixture.





Add in quinoa, breadcrumbs and cilantro.  Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes and add in eggs and cheese.  For best results, place in refrigerator for one hour(I was too lazy to do this step).




Form patties and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.  Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook for 3 minutes per side.



I put the nutritionals she lists in the WW calculator.  For one 77 gm patty it's 6 points.  

There are several ways to cut points here- use egg whites instead of whole eggs, use a lower fat cheese etc.  The thing is that I've had the full fat version and that's what I'm craving.  I mean really craving it like crazy.  So I was kind of afraid I'd go to all this work only to be a little disappointed if it wasn't quite the same.  Now that I've had my fix I do intend to try the lower fat version at some point.

I also want to mention that vegans could potentially use a dairy free cheese substitute and maybe use processed firm tofu in lieu of the eggs to help hold it all together.

So this is a little on the high side points wise but today it was worth it for me.  I love these so much it's better than a hot fudge sundae in my book.

My husband loves them too.  Those chipotle peppers in adobo sauce just flood our house with that smoky, savory smell while I'm cooking.  Tonight my husband couldn't seem to keep his nose away from my pans while I cooked.  I just chuckled and elbowed him to move over.

These are just so yummy!!!!  I was again very happy with how they turned out.

And, for me, the points and time it took to cook them was totally worth it.

Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...