Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Sweet & Savory Butternut Squash Bites




I bought a butternut squash and was trying to think of something different to do with it.

I had this random thought of "Hey, why not put it in phyllo cups somehow?".

After looking at numerous on-line recipes I settled on this one with only a couple small changes.

-I added in 1/4 cup of my pre-cooked caramelized onions.
-I omitted the sage(I'm not a fan of this herb)
-I used 60 of the mini shells!
-I used a whole medium to large butternut squash instead of just 1 cup.


Ingredients

60 mini Phyllo cups

2 oz reduced fat cream cheese

1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

1 Tbsp fat free milk

1 medium to large sized butternut squash

4 slices Hormel Black Label precooked bacon, cut into bits

Salt to taste


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Spray a foil lined baking sheet with cooking spray.  Microwave the butternut squash for five minutes and the let cool.  Don't forget your hot pads when you pull this out!

After the squash is cool, supreme it(cut the skin off) and then cut it into one inch cubes.  I usually cut the seeded end off altogether and pitch that part.

Place on the baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes or until tender but not completely blackened.



Bring the oven temp down to 350 and then cook the empty Phyllo shells for 5 minutes.  Then let them completely cool.

A word about these shells.  They come like this already pre-made into the little shells.  You can find them in the freezer section at most grocery stores.



After the squash is out and slightly cooled combine it with the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend well.

Place the filling into a pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe into the little shells.



Top with bacon bits and serve.


Some with bacon and some without for my vegetarian friends


Here's the really great part.  

Are you ready for this?!

These are only 1pt for 2 bites!!!!!

And they're crazy delicious!!!

These taste sweet and savory.  It tasted like I put some sugar or sugar substitute in there but I didn't.

This was a natural sweetness from the veggie caramelization.

This is a keeper!

This was a great appetizer at my Grandmother's on Easter.


Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...