Sunday, September 4, 2016

Parsnip, Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Gratin



So today I had another craving.

This time it was for homemade comfort food with parsnips.

Parsnips are so unbelievably delicious.  They are 2 pts per 1/2 cup.

If you haven't tried them oven roasted you're missing out.

I would say it's a moral imperative for you to remedy that situation immediately. :)

I looked at several recipes on line but couldn't really find just what I was craving so I made up my own recipe.



This is a casserole that serves 8 and comes out to 6 Smart Points per serving in the recipe builder.

Ingredients:

1 lb parsnips, peeled and either spiralized or cut into small 1/2 inch pieces
1 (12 oz) sweet potato, peeled and either spiralized or cute into small 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 head of cauliflower cut into small florets
8 oz fat free evaporated milk
2 oz white cooking wine
1 pinch red pepper flakes(more if you like it hot)
1 yellow onion diced
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 Tbsp Hormel Real Bacon Pieces
1 tsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp flour
Chicken broth for cooking
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup part skim mozzarella



Spiralize the parsnips.
















Now the sweet potatoes...
















These are the bits left over after spiralizing.

There is no way I'm going to waste these!

I've already tracked it by putting it into the recipe builder.

I just finely diced these up and threw them in the pan.










Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9x13 casserole pan with olive oil spray and set aside.
First I sauteed the onion over medium high heat, with chicken broth to keep it from sticking, for 15-20 min or until well done.
Then add the garlic and cook for two more minutes.
Next add in the white wine, parsley, pepper flakes, bacon bits and 3/4 cup chicken broth.
Add in the flour to thicken stirring constantly.  Pull this off the heat and set aside.

Place the parsnips, sweet potato and cauliflower into the casserole dish and pour the onion mixture over the top.



Next sprinkle both cheeses over the top.  Place in the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes or until vegetables are tender.






What I might change next time....

I think next time I might rice the cauliflower before adding it to the casserole pan so everything cooks a little more evenly.  I felt a little too lazy to do that today.  :)

All in all this turned out really well.  It tasted like a yummy potatoes au gratin without the white potatoes.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...