Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Cinnamon Bun For One



This recipe comes from Katie Farrell and the Dashing Dish cookbook.

I really love one mug cakes because I have almost no self control when it comes to sweets.

This didn't call for any extravagant ingredients, it was easy and pretty yummy so it's definitely worth a try.

Ingredients

Cinnamon Bun

1/4 cup old-fashioned oats

1 Tbsp vanilla or plain protein powder

2 Tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt

1 large egg white(2 Tbsp of liquid egg whites)

1/2 tsp baking powder

2 Tbsp sweetener that measures like sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon


Protein-Packed Icing

2 Tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt

2 tsp sweetener that measures like sugar


Instructions

Spoon the oats into a blender or food processor and grind into a flour-like consistency.  Spray a microwave-safe mug with cooking spray.  In a small bowl place the oat flour, protein powder, yogurt, egg white, baking powder, sweetener, and cinnamon and stir until well combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared mug and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until the cinnamon bun is set.


I want to add in a quick word here about mug cakes.  I've made a few of these from this cookbook but also from the Hungry Girl site.  What I now know is that the mug you use matters.  I use a big Christmas mug I have because it's a nice even cylinder instead of having a tapered or irregular shape.  It's also bigger than most of my mugs.  That being said, the size of the mug obviously affects cooking time so watch it close.  I had several flops when I first tried Hungry Girl mug cakes, which were my first.  




To make the icing, mix the yogurt with the sweetener in a small bowl.  Pour the icing in a zip-top bag and snip the tip of the bottom corner.  Swirl the icing onto the cinnamon bun.

This is a serving for one and comes to 8 pts.  

I did happen to have oat flour on hand and used that which makes this so much easier.

Here's the deal~ I can't have whole cakes or whole batches of cupcakes in my home.

I can't be trusted around sweets.  It's a definite trigger food and will usually result in a binge.

I respect my body temple enough not to keep it in the house but this is a nice compromise.

Getting to have something sweet with built in portion control is fantastic.

There are tons of great recipes in this cookbook.  In fact, it's the second time I've checked it out so I will probably go ahead and buy it.

My friend Jodie gave me the companion devotional book for Christmas which is also really good.


I hope you enjoy your bun in a mug for one!


Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...