Monday, April 17, 2017

Nancy's King Ranch Chicken




The same day my mom was making the fully fatty version of this I got the WW version from my leader Nancy.

Coincidence?

I think not.

It was like an answered prayer.  It took everything in me not to eat my mom's yummy King's Ranch Chicken.

So I was really excited to try this recipe.


Ingredients

4 chicken bouillion cubes(or 4 tsp Better Than Bouillion paste)

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 (7 oz) can chopped green chiles

1 (8 oz or 11 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained

1 (6 oz) can tomato paste

1-2 tsp salt to taste

4 Tbsp flour

16 corn tortillas

3 1/2 cups skim milk

2 (13 oz each) canned chicken

1 (7 oz pkg) shredded fat free cheddar cheese
   *(Add 1 pt per serving if using reduced fat cheese)*


Instructions

Dissolve bouillon in water in microwave, set aside.


I used the Better Than Bouillon.  It's has a really rich, savory flavor.


Spray a large sauce pan with cooking spray.  Add onions and saute, stirring until softened (1-2 minutes).



Stir in green chilies, sliced mushrooms, tomato paste, water with bouillon dissolved and salt.

Slowly stir in flour and heat on medium heat.  Gradually add skim milk.






Stir until mixture begins to simmer and thicken.

Remove from heat and let cool for 15-30 minutes.

Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.

Tear 8 corn tortillas and layer in the pan.  Top wtih one can of drained chicken, crumbled.

These are small 6 inch tortillas


You can see my pieces aren't uniform or perfect in any way.  I just tore them into tortilla chip sizes, well, more or less.  ;)


This was the first time I've bought canned chicken.  It saves a ton of time!






Repeat with 8 more tortillas and another can of drained, crumbled chicken.

Pour sauce mixture over chicken and tortillas.  Let set before baking or store in refrigerator overnight.

I put mine on a foil lined baking sheet to catch any spills.


Bake uncovered at 325 F for 45 minutes.  Top with shredded cheese and bake another 15 minutes.

Let's talk points:  1/8 recipe= 7 smart points  1/6= 9 smart points

Don't forget to add 1 pt per serving if you used reduced fat cheese instead of fat free.



Survey says.....


THIS IS SO FREAKING GOOD!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh I loved this!  It did not taste like reduced fat anything AND it was so filling!

You know me, I went for the 1/6 portion but man am I ever full.

My husband also was in disbelief that it was a WW recipe.

Thank you Nancy for another winning recipe!



Chow Down!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...