Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Guilt-Free Pizza Bites!



As a mother I'm always trying to get my son to eat more vegetables.

He likes raw baby carrots, frozen peas, frozen corn and raw sugar snap peas but that's about it.

Under duress he'll eat canned green beans but he always has a grimace on his face while he eats them.

So when I first found this recipe a couple years ago I was really excited because it was the first time I got my child to eat cauliflower!

He LOVES these cute little pizza bites!

These are a bit messy to make but it's not hard.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to hold together a little better because they tend to be soft to the point of falling apart when I pull them out of the pan.

But we still love them.

AND, when I looked at this recipe through the eyes of a WW I realized that(when hot sauce and oil are omitted) they're only 1 pt for 6 of them!!!

Woo hoo!

Ready to get snacky? ;)

Ingredients

2 cups grated cauliflower(you can buy pre-packed or pulse it in your food processor)

1/4 cup liquid egg whites

1 cup fat free cottage cheese

1 tsp oregano

2 tsp parsley

1/4 tsp garlic powder(I use a heaping 1/2 tsp usually)

*** I skip the coconut oil and hot sauce***

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 450 F.

Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.

If you didn't buy the pre-packaged riced cauliflower I recommend using your food processor and just pulsing it until you have a uniform texture.  To me this is much less of a hassle and mess than actually using the shredding disc that comes with the processor.  



Place the grated cauliflower in a hot skillet and cook for eight minutes, stirring frequently, until it becomes more translucent.  Take off the heat and place into a bowl to cool.



Put all the other ingredients into a food processor and blend.



Add the blended mix to the bowl of cauliflower and stir to blend.

Spread the mix evenly into the muffin tin "pressing down firmly" on each one.  



The consistency is very soft so in my opinion you can't exactly press down firmly.  I more or less patted them down to be even.  




Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Cool completely before removing from the pan!  



Serve by dipping in marinara or pizza sauce but be sure to remember to count the points for the sauce you choose.

In hindsight I think previously I didn't press the "dough" firmly into the muffin tin before cooking previously so that might have been why they didn't hold their shape well.



Overall these are fantastic!

They're just one of those fun little snacks and it's a bonus when your picky son will eat them! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...