Saturday, April 22, 2017

Pop Quiz

P  O  P    Q  U  I  Z  



As you may recall I'm in the midst of doing a 100 Days of Weight Loss Challenge.

So far, it's been good.  Now in the way of hitting target points every day?  Um, not quite there yet but I am learning a lot and I think in the end that's more valuable than a quick fix.

I'm starting to see trends for myself.  I noticed that I can pretty much have two red dot days(days when I go over) and if the rest are green dots(on target) than I'm weight neutral.

If it's more red dots than that I'm definitely looking at a gain. I think if I ever decide to try WW Simply Filling plan this might come in handy but I'm not there yet.

What I also know is that there are foods I avoided since I've started WW because I felt too vulnerable.  They were my trigger foods.  What I'm starting to think though is that I need to make more of an effort to somehow get these things in in smaller amounts on a more regular basis with the idea that I won't feel deprived and it will hopefully demystify the whole thing.  I'm hoping it will be less alluring and special if I have it more regularly.

The thing is that you lose so much weight and if you haven't had something you love then you're ready to let yourself have it all of a sudden but you haven't trained yourself to have it in small bits so you binge and it's a mess.

The thing I'm working on is sorting how I'm going to work in more regular small treats.  But it's something to work on.

 For the 100 Day Challenge the first ten days are more or less setting you up for success.

One of the days consisted of a short little quiz which I'll post for you here.  This day was talking about asking for support and so after you fill it out then you're supposed to show it to the people close to you so they know and understand what makes you feel supported and what does not.

It helps eliminate bad feelings between everyone.  So if you want to, take the quiz and consider showing it to your support group.

I'll be sharing mine with my husband and mother.  They're the ones I see most often and are around to see me eat and struggle or succeed.

THE "WHAT I WANT FROM YOU" QUIIZ

1.  If you see me eating something that's not on my diet plan you should:
a)____ Ask me, "Should you be eating that?"
b)____Ignore it entirely.
c)____Ask me if I've had a bad day.
d)____Give me a hug.
e)____Offer me something healthy like a piece of fruit.(I made this one up)

2.  When I'm making progress, such as losing weight:
a)____Compliment me on how I look.
b)____Praise me in front of others.
c)____Never comment on my progress in front of others.
d)____Give me non-food gifts or rewards.

3.  When I'm struggling or gaining weight:
a)____Tell me you notice and really care about my struggle.
b)____Ignore it entirely.
c)____Hug me and show me extra affection.
d)____Ask me how you can help.

4.  When I'm making progress you can't see(such as improving my self-esteem):
a)____Ask me how my efforts are going.
b)____Compliment me on how I look.
c)____Ignore my efforts and my changes.
d)____Give me non-food gifts or rewards.

5.  When I've maintained my weight(even though I may still want to lose more):
a)____ Tell me you are proud of my current efforts.
b)____Ignore the subject entirely.
c)____Ask me if I'm struggling or feeling discouraged.
d)____Compliment me on my looks and my efforts.
e)____Ask me how you can support me.(I made this one up too)


Keep in mind that you can, and in fact should, make up your own answers if there's something else that would work better for you.

I also actually marked some of these with two acceptable answers and wrote in "NEVER!" next to the ones that would really offend me and, believe me, some of them would.

#1a is a NEVER!!!!!  for me.  That would only served to make me really, really angry.  I've had that happen to me before and I was all at once hurt and angry.  It ruined my whole day.

My answers were:
1 e
2 c & d
3 c & d
4 b & d
5 e

Of course everyone is different and that's the point of this exercise.  Your support group people aren't mind readers and this will help them help you and strengthen your relationship as you take responsibility for your feelings and situation.

I personally find it very empowering to ask for help in this way.

I also think we may want to include other things that we find difficult.  For instance, I told my mother-in-law to please not give my son gifts of chocolates and I asked my mom not to bring Reese's into my house.

I can't stay out of those even if they're my son's.

Hope this helps you set yourself up for success.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...