Sunday, April 23, 2017

Nancy's Sausage, Mushroom, Sweet Potato Frittata




This is another recipe from my wonderful WW leader, Nancy.

It's really easy too.  And, it's really something you can serve at any meal.

Gotta love flexibility.

I just made this ahead of time for our dinner tonight.

Since I didn't have the Sweet Italian Sausage on hand I used 1 lb of the Honeysuckle turkey breakfast sausage.

I also chose to use all liquid egg whites instead of the eggs.  Again, lots of flexibility and you can decide how to create with this.



Ingredients

10 oz uncooked sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

3 links(12 oz) Honeysuckle uncooked Sweet Italian Sausage

1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups fresh spinach, packed

12 eggs(or 3 cups egg substitute)

1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese



Instructions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 12 baking dish with cooking spray.

Line the prepared pan with sliced sweet potatoes.  Bake for about 10 minutes to partially cook potatoes.



Take the sausage out of the casings and brown in a non-stick skillet, crumbling as it cooks.
Drain and evenly spread over the sweet potatoes.  Top with mushrooms and spinach.





Whisk eggs together in a medium bowl.  Pour eggs over spinach.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Bake covered for 20 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes until the eggs are set and potatoes are tender.



Serve warm or save for later.  This refrigerates or freezes and reheats in the microwave or oven very well.

Points:  For 8 servings:  1= 7 smart points with eggs/  4 smart points with egg substitute

When I put my changes into the recipe builder I put it in for 6 servings and it came out to 6 points.


Okay, truth time~

  I realized I screwed up a little, or a lot, when I was typing this up just now.  I totally forgot to cover the dish the first time I put it in for 20 minutes.  I noticed the spinach got a little crunchy but didn't think anything of it.

  I also forgot the salt and pepper but it was plenty salty for me which is just a shocker!!!  Maybe I'm making strides on my salt habit.

  I also put more mushrooms than it called for which made it a little wet but when I pulled it out I could tip it to a corner and pour out some of the mushroom juice.

  Despite all my goofs it still turned out really well.

  Sometimes you just gotta laugh at your mistakes.  Thank goodness I'm not going for perfect!

  As they say, it's a moving target.

This was really delicious and relatively easy to make if you're not in a complete brain fog as I was.

I guess that's what I get for taking on too many things at once.

Once again my thanks to Nancy sharing it with us.  Thank you fearless leader!




Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...