Saturday, April 8, 2017

Mexican Brown Rice Casserole




This is another WW recipe I've made many times before.

Hear this- if you're new to WW and you're hungry, you need to try this recipe.

When I first started I felt vulnerable and unsure of what to eat.  I wasn't quite full but hadn't figured out what to eat yet.

This made me feel full.  I paired this with a salad and it was very, very satisfying. 

I also just want to mention if you are in the position of feeling unsure of what to eat or how to feel full let me tell you that my experience was that it really just takes some experimenting.  

All of us are different and what might make one person feel full may not help another.  There was a lot of trial and error involved for me but I now have a very good understanding of how to fill up.  

For instance, I love having a pepperoni pizza using the Flat Out brand Artisan thin crust but it never fills me up.  I have a salad with it and usually a piece of fruit too.  

So don't give up.  You'll find just the right combination for you.  Like everything else in life, it just takes practice.  

Ingredients

4 cups cooked brown rice

1 1/4 cups of fat free salsa

10 oz of frozen corn, thawed

1 tsp cumin(I used more like 2 tsp)

15 oz can fat free refried beans

4 oz can diced green chili peppers

1 Tbsp chili powder

10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl.  

3/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided

2 Tbsp fresh cilantro for garnish(I didn't have this on hand and am too lazy and cheap to buy it ðŸ˜…)



Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Coat a 2 quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin.  






Spoon two cups of the rice mixture into the bottom of the casserole dish and spread out evenly.

In another large bowl, combine the beans, corn, chili powder and chili peppers.  Using a rubber spatula scrape bean mixture on top of the rice layer and smooth out top.

I did this like icing a cake.  I evenly spaced out little dollops and then spread it together.


Squeeze out any excess water from the spinach and then spread on top of the bean layer.  I simply used my hands to wring out the moisture from the spinach in small clumps.  

You know what they say?  The best tool in the kitchen is your hands.

When I first made this I thought I wouldn't like the spinach in there but it's surprisingly good so try to keep an open mind.  And, if you don't like it you can always omit it next time around(but I doubt you will!)


Next sprinkle with 6 Tbsp of cheese.  Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top.


Then sprinkle with remaining cheese.  



Place on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillover.  Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.  

Sprinkle with cilantro and cut into 6 servings.  

Each generous serving is 8 pts a piece.  

Not a lot of difference in the look before and after cooking but that's because the reduced fat cheese doesn't melt quite the same.

Rest assured, it tastes just as good, at least to me.  



Again, this is so filling and it's so nice to have leftovers for nights you don't feel like cooking.  

It's a win-win.  



Happy Cooking!








2 comments:

  1. I love this one! I've made it several times.
    You made this for me the first summer you were on WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I still love it! Like I said, it's a go-to meal when you're trying to get full. :)

    ReplyDelete

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...