Monday, August 22, 2016

Work Food

Saturday I had the most lovely experience.  I went to Afternoon Tea with my mom.

We were serenaded while we dined on beautiful little tea sandwiches and various other confections.

While we were there I had the privilege of meeting five delightful women and through the course of the event the talk turned to weight loss, Weight Watchers and dieting in general.

One woman in particular related to me that she felt she had no time to eat at work, something I completely relate with.

She said she had one 15 minute break and specifically asked "Do you have any really quick and easy recipes for things that I could bring to work?".

So today's post is for her and anyone else who is struggling with the same obstacle.

I personally take a mozzarella cheese stick and an apple to have around 9-9:30 am and then my Greek yogurt snack(see my blog post titled The Magic of the Late Day Power Snack for more on that) at around 4:30 pm.

Here is what putting together my work food looks like:





For my late day yogurt snack there's 1 c plain FAGE Greek yogurt, 1 tsp Truvia, 1 tsp vanilla extract and frozen cherries from SAM's(3 pts total).  
My salad is made from a romaine mix, Olive Garden light dressing and 3 oz Tyson grilled chicken breast(3pts total).  


I really love this Hefty brand lunch box with the separate container for my salad dressing.  It's really handy!





Here's the salad-



On to the yogurt...








Pretty in pink...



And now to put it all together...



Check out my Igloo bag!  It's insulated and with my plastic ice pack will keep everything cold all day. It's also big enough to fit a whole day's food.  I purchased this at Target.

This takes me about 10 minutes to prepare all of it.



Whatever you decide to bring try to keep balance in mind and the need for protein, without it you'll be just as hungry as if you hadn't eaten anything at all.

The following are some other ideas for great snacks that would also be easy to bring.

Certainly if you had the time you could do make ahead recipes for lunch like omelet muffins or leftover spaghetti squash with marinara or whatever you like.

Combine any fruit you like- grapes, apples, oranges, pears, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, mango...

+

Protein like- boiled eggs, 1 tsp of peanut butter or premixed PB2 powder, part skim/light cheese stick, low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Butterball turkey sticks(get em' at Wal-Mart), nuts. lunch meat, turkey pepperoni(if you're okay with sodium and hot spice)

+

On the go veggies like carrot sticks, celery(a negative calorie food), cucumber(I don't know why but I love these!), sugar snap peas.

Hummus is good to take too but be careful of the portion sizes on this as well as nuts or nut butters.  These are all very high in calories so a little goes a long way.

I hope this helps address the question of what to bring and eat at work when you don't have a lot of time.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...