Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Celery Root Soup

I know what you're thinking... "really?  Celery root? Gack!"  
Keep an open mind!  This is really good, low in calories and points.  

Here is the quick and dirty on what I did to make this -

First supreme and dice two celery roots into one inch cubes(about 2-2.5 c).  If you haven't bought a celery root before they look like an ugly, hairy root ball.  Cut off the green leafy parts first.  Supreming means you take a knife and cut off that hairy outer layer.  Be careful!  No cut fingers please.
Here is a video on how to if you're feeling intimidated.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABa58-HAeRY

I diced a whole yellow onion and cooked it using chicken broth until it was well done(15-20 min).  I then added about 2 oz of white wine.  Doesn't everything taste better with wine?  Um.... yes.  
Then I added the cubed celery root plus one celery rib finely diced and cooked it for 20+ minutes until soft. 

Next take a hand blender and carefully blend in the pan until it's a nice smooth, creamy texture.  

Now at this point you can do a lot of things- sometimes I add a little cayenne and smoked paprika(this is a miracle spice if you haven't figured it out yet).

What I did recently though was add a whole 10 oz can of low fat cream of mushroom soup along with 4 oz of shredded rotisserie chicken and 4 tablespoons of Hormel real bacon bits.  

I let it simmer for ten minutes or so.  There are six servings.  

With the cream of mushroom soup it's 2 Smart Points, without it's 1 Pt.  

Voila!  So yummy!  And it tastes like a rich, delicious potato soup.  It's just good comfort food.  

Happy cooking Emoji

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...