Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Power of Habit

A few months ago my WW coach recommended I read the bestseller by Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit.  




I have to say, I loved this book!  My husband got really sick of me saying "Oh Honey, just one more thing I have to read to you.  This is really good!".

If you like to read this is definitely worth your time.  I found it very empowering.

The book talks about our habits, how they form, why we do what we do and how to make changes.  It also talks about the fact that old habits never really go away completely and that it is often easier to create a new habit by spring-boarding off of an old one.

When I joined WW I got an up close and personal look at some of my bad habits:

I'd live largely on coffee during the day(the idea of eating breakfast in the am made me feel queasy)

I would have a protein shake or bar for lunch(My mantra was "I don't have time to eat a real lunch")

I would eat 80% of my calories in the evening

I would eat a huge dinner and then just keep on grazing until I laid my head down in bed

I ate nutritionally void foods that were calorie dense most of the time

If the TV is on for whatever reason, I eat mindlessly the entire time


There are a lot more but these are some of the big ones I have and ones I see other people struggle with everyday.

The bottom line is that this type of behavior drags your metabolism through the mud leaving you feeling rotten awful.

So, lets get to a practical application of this idea.

I took a look at my habit of eating after dinner while watching TV.  I knew that the TV was my trigger and so I decided to plan for that.  I did two things, banked some of my daily points and prepared healthy snacks for that evening ahead of time.

I started making things like kale chips(0 points) and jicama "fries"(0 points).  You can find the recipe here.

I'm not going to say that I only eat healthy snacks in the evening now but much of the time I do.
I actually try to also incorporate something that has protein as well, like an egg white omelet with kale, tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of feta.

These days my dinners are smaller than they used to be but that's because I save my points for my after dinner grazing.  As silly as it sounds it makes me so happy to snack and know that I don't have to feel guilty about that any more.  You can't put a price on that.

I also changed a LOT more about those other bad habits and I will tell you it was tough at first.
I started eating breakfast every single day.  I started preparing real food for work and making myself eat a snack while I chart at the end of the day around 4 pm.

I think these things were hard because I wasn't working off of an old habit but trying to create something new.
Some things in life are just like that, they're work.  I think sometimes we feel like it should always be easy and that something's wrong if its not but that's not true.
Some things just take work and they're hard but if you stick with it the payoff is big.
And, your health and your quality of life are totally worth it!

Keep the faith friends!  You can do anything you set your heart and your mind to!

Carrie







No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...