Thursday, August 18, 2016

Kale, Glorious Kale

On a never ending quest for healthy, low point, satisfying foods I did a little experimenting last night.

I often make kale crisps to snack on at night but last night I added some new flavors.

I found two new 0 pt popcorn spices at Wal-Mart.  One was Bacon Cheddar and the other is Garlic Parmesan.

I also tried one of my favorite spices, Frontier Co-Op's Chipotle Smoked Red Jalapenos.

This is how I make my kale chips:

After washing the kale I tear off large pieces and discard the hard spine.

I place the pieces on a cookie sheet and then spray them with olive oil spray.



Be careful not to overcrowd the pan or it won't cook properly.

Next I added my preferred seasoning.

My standard go to recipe for these uses 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.

Even though I'm a bit of a salt-aholic I don't salt these until after they're done.  For me these don't need much salt at all.



I put them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes.

Then I toss them a bit and set it for five more minutes.  This can vary a lot depending on your oven.

The end result should be a crispy, lightly browned kale chip.  They shouldn't be blackened.



And the winner is...

Bacon Cheddar has the best flavor I think but it's really mild.

If you really like a strong flavor, and don't mind spicy hot, go for the chipotle.



This is what I snacked on last night.

It tasted good and it felt good to get back on track.

Happy Snacking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...