Monday, August 8, 2016

Summer Love Pasta

I've never made pesto before today but it turned out well so I'm sharing it with you all.  




I changed quite a bit in an effort to make it WW friendly(regular pesto is a total calorie bomb!).

I found this recipe on the laaloosh site and just tweaked it a bit and then added it to another recipe.  

For the pesto I substituted nutritional yeast for the grated Parmesan.  I also didn't have the fresh parsley so I used a couple teaspoons of dried parsley.  I used 2 tablespoons of almonds since I didn't have pine nuts on hand.  I also added a 1 tsp of dried chives and a pinch of dill.  I would also decrease the salt in this!  Next time I make it I'm going to use 1/2 tsp instead of a full tsp.  

I made the pesto and then set it aside.



Then I made the following:

I chopped one med yellow onion, one medium yellow bell pepper, one medium red bell pepper, one medium orange bell pepper, one fresh jalapeno and added those to a skillet with 1 tablespoon of hot olive oil.  Using chicken broth I cooked until well done(15 min or more).  
Then I added 4 cloves of minced garlic and 2 oz of white cooking wine.  

Next I added two medium to large sized spiralized zucchini, a pint of halved cherry tomatoes and 15 oz of shrimp.  Did I mention I LOVE shrimp?!

I covered it with the homemade pesto and voila- summer in a dish.  

This was a bit of work so if you don't like to cook you won't like this but I was in the mood today.  
I felt like I was eating summer on a plate.  It was sooooo good and pretty and healthy!  
I gave myself 6 pts for 1/4 of the whole batch.  It kind of begs to be paired with a beautiful white wine.  I didn't have it on hand but it would be fabulous if you don't mind spending the points.  

I had fresh watermelon for dessert and I feel oh so satisfied right now .  

It's one of those meals to enjoy on the porch(if it's not too hot) with a loved one.  
Who says healthy eating can't be an exquisite experience?!

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...