Sunday, August 14, 2016

Butternut Squash with Asiago Garlic Breadcrumbs

It's that time of year again where all those wonderful gardeners are sharing their bounty as they overflow with squash and tomatoes.




Fortunately I was just given a beautiful butternut squash.  There are so many things to love about this veggie.  It's low in calories and fat, high in fiber, B vitamins, potassium and minerals(I could go on).  It's also a 0 pt food.

So I decided to supreme(cut off the peel) it and dice it into one inch cubes.

I put it on a Silpat(or foil lined and sprayed with olive oil spray) lined cookie sheet, sprayed it with olive oil spray and baked it at 425 degrees for nearly an hour, turning the pieces halfway through.

Next I put a skillet on high heat and added 1 Tbsp of olive oil.  After a couple minutes on high I added 1/2 cup of whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs with 1/2 tsp dried parsley and 1/4 tsp of garlic salt.

I toasted the breadcrumbs in the pan for 2-3 min stirring constantly.

After I pulled them off the heat I added in 2 Tbsp of grated Asiago(I bought this at Target).

I often make extra as my son loves to munch on these alone.

I actually made this dish in pottery class!  It's not perfect but I made it!  Woo hoo!


This is a great side dish.  It serves 4 and is 3 Smart Points per serving.

It would also be wonderful with a couple tablespoons of bacon bits(with the addition of extra points) and roasted onion.
That's on the agenda for next time.

Happy Cooking!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...