Saturday, August 13, 2016

Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Casserole



Have you ever just been in the mood for leeks?  I have been.  
So, I bought them not knowing what I wanted to make but then I found this recipe:

Of course Martha Stewart's version is the full Fatty McFatty version so I had to slim it down a bit.  

Here's what I changed:

No bread

1 tablespoon of olive oil instead of 5(I used broth to keep things from sticking)

I added 1 lb of peeled and cut(1 inch pieces) parsnips.  FYI- roasted parsnips are heavenly!

I also added one purple carrot peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces(My son loves rainbow carrots).

I put the carrot and parsnips in a large bowl with an inch or two of water in the bottom and microwaved them for 4-6 minutes before I added them into the rest of the recipe.  

This recipe called for no garlic.  Gasp!  A day without garlic is like a day without color I'd say!  
So I added a dash of garlic salt to each piece of chicken before I cooked it and I used a cast iron skillet(these are just magic).

It turned out SOOOO well!  As I type this my husband, Mark, is asking if he can have a second serving stating "These mushrooms are annoyingly good.  I can't stop eating them".  Admittedly he knows this foodie is a little territorial about her food. 

There are six generous portions.  I figured this was about 7 pts per serving.  



Now, what would I change...

If you had the points to spend next time I would go ahead and use a nice rustic bread but I think I would cut it into cubes and first toast it in the oven with olive oil spray.  Then I would toss it in with everything(think rustic stuffing... yumm....)

I would also substitute Gruyere for the Parmesan cheese.  Is there anything that is not made better by a bit of Gruyere?  I think not.  

I think I might also experiment with using a bit of lightly steamed cauliflower and decreasing the amount parsnips solely to save on points.  Not sure how this would be until I tried it.  Will let you know the next time I make it.  

For my sweet vegetarian friends and family- This is definitely doable as a vegetarian dish.  Use veg broth and omit the meat and there you have it.  


Happy Cooking! Emoji



Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...