Thursday, February 23, 2017

Thermogenic Foods

As you've seen I've been reading Rocco Dispirito's The Negative Calorie Diet.

I checked this book out at the library to get new recipe ideas, not to get a new diet.

However, out of curiosity I did scan through some of what he was touting in the way of diet.

One of his main premises is that we need to be sure to incorporate thermogenic foods into our diet.

When we eat our bodies produce heat to digest the meal.

Some foods produce more heat and result in increased calories burned.

Those foods are said to be more thermogenic.

Now, get ready for the surprise....

Those more thermogenic foods are primarily cruciferous vegetables and proteins.

Gasp!

Could it be that healthy foods can aid in weight loss and management?!!!

Um, yes.

If you're interested in metabolism and thermogenesis check out this short article.

Also, you need to realize that while they may help you burn more calories it's like more in the 10% range or so from what I read.

It's not like we can sit down and pork through a whole bag of almonds and magically lose weight.

Yes, I'm laughing right now.  ;)


Out of completeness I will list his top ten thermogenic foods:

1. Almonds
2. Apples
3. Berries
4. Celery
5. Citrus fruits
6. Cruciferous vegetables
7. Cucumbers
8. Green leafy vegetables
9. Mushrooms
10. Nightshades(ie eggplant, bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes)

In general lean protein is also listed as a thermogenic food

He also lists the top 10 fat burning condiments and spices which are:

1. Cayenne pepper
2. Black pepper
3. Turmeric
4. Mustard
5. Horseradish
6. Cinnamon
7. Ginger
8. Garlic
9. Cardamom
10. Cumin

And so here's the deal~ I don't believe in any type of hype diet.

But I do believe in trying to eat more fruits, vegetables and lean protein...

Which I'm already doing and certainly this is what WW encourages with the way their Smart Point system is set up.

In fact, the nice thing about reading this list is that there was nothing he listed that I don't really eat.

It is such a fantastic feeling to be able to look my patients in the eye and educate them about healthy lifestyle, diet and exercise and know that I am also doing those very things.

There's nothing worse than feeling like a hypocrite and it's so nice to let go of that and know I'm walking my talk.

The other great thing is that I've been practicing in the same clinic for 13 years so I really know my patients.

And, they've seen my transformation.

They usually ask me what I'm doing before I get a chance to tell them.

I also appreciate the respect I see in their eyes because they have all seen what my "before" looks like.

So, I wouldn't get this book just for dietary guidelines but I am loving his wholesome recipes.

They are very plan friendly and delicious.

And, I will admit that I'd slacked off a little on my almond intake but after reading the book I've been more consistent with my almond consumption.

I've added another snack to my mid-morning of seven almonds which is 1 pt.

Psychologically it feels good every time I eat them or any other healthy food.

I just secretly smile to myself and think "Yep.  I'm that girl~ the one who eats all this healthy, delicious, life giving wonderful food!".

Now that is sexy ;)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...