Sunday, February 5, 2017

Guiltless Smothered Chicken



In WW, like most diets, they tell you to avoid words like "smothered" when you go out to eat.

Those are definitely the kinds of words that used to make me choose a particular dish.

So it's always kind of fun to come up with healthier versions of smothered dishes.

I bought this book in the bargain section at Barnes and Noble



This is the full Fatty McFatty comfort food cookbook.  

"Why are you buying this?" you might ask.

Because one of the things I love doing is using books like this for inspiration to take naughty comfort foods we love and make them healthier.  

So when I started this I intended to go in one direction with it and ended up in another place entirely.  

I thought it turned out okay and my husband even liked it better than I did.

I'm also committed to sharing everything with you~ successes and failures.  

So here it is~

Ingredients for the Sauce:

2- 10.5 oz cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup

1- 10.5 oz can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup

1- yellow onion, diced

16 oz baby portabella mushrooms, sliced

1- 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes

1 tsp bouillon(I used the Better Than Bouillon brand) 


For the Chicken:

2 lbs bonesless, skinless chicken breasts cut so breasts have a thin, uniform thickness

onion powder

garlic powder

Hormel real bacon bits to top it off


Instructions

Saute the onion using chicken broth until the onion is well done.  Then add in the mushroom and cook another 5-7 minutes or until cooked down.  




Add all the remaining sauce ingredients and cook for another 15 minutes on medium heat until the flavors are well blended.  


***(Keep in mind that you could stop here.  The above pictured mix alone would still be really yummy atop your chicken and this part by itself is 0 pts).***




Sprinkle the chicken with onion and garlic powder and then cook them in another skillet using broth as needed to prevent scorching or sticking until done.  




Plate the chicken and top with desired amount of sauce.  Then sprinkle with 1 tsp of bacon bits and enjoy!


Let's talk points~

I set this to serve 8 which makes the chicken and sauce come to 5 pts per serving then you would add on pts for the bacon bits depending on how much you decide to use or not use.  

This was ridiculously easy, tasty, low in points and it did feel like a comfort food.  

All in all that's always a win for me. :)

Happy Cooking!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...