Saturday, February 18, 2017

Savory Lobster Pot Pie




I get the weirdest cravings sometimes.

I guess that's the telltale sign of a foodie.

Today I was struck with a craving for a savory lobster pot pie, which, ironically I had never heard of or made before.

So I looked around and found other people have had the same idea but most of those recipes are sky high in points because they're made with whole milk or whipping cream.

I toned down the fat and points as much as I could without sacrificing flavor.

This is my own recipe and I think it turned out pretty well.


Ingredients

2 cups of thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms

1/2 of one small to medium zucchini diced(used this instead of the traditional peas to save pts)

1/8 cup dry Sherry

1 oz Swiss cheese, shredded

7 baby carrots cut into thin rounds

1 yellow onion finely diced

1/2 cup fat free half and half

1/2 cup skim milk

1 Tbsp flour

1/2 serving of phyllo dough(stack 5 of those paper thin sheets and then cut and use half)

2 cloves of minced garlic

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1/2 tsp salt

black pepper to taste

8 oz of lobster(I took the cheap way out today and used the imitation lobster)


Directions

First and foremost you need to make sure you've let the phyllo dough thaw completely before even starting with this.  So, let one of the rolls sit out on the counter for a few hours or overnight until thawed.

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Saute the onion on medium high heat until cooked well done using a little chicken broth at a time to prevent sticking, about 8 minutes or so.

Add in the mushrooms, carrots, garlic and remaining broth.  Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.



Next add in the the half and half, milk and the butter and let it cook for another 3  minutes.

Spoon a small amount of the liquid into a small bowl and mix well with the flour.  Then add this to the rest of the pan to thicken the sauce.

Finally add in the salt, pepper, lobster, zucchini and cheese and mix well.  Cook on low for another couple minutes.






My friend, Tia bought these cute individual crocks for me.  Thanks Tia!


Take the mix off the heat and then ladle into your individual crocks.

I used the little lids as a stencil of sorts, cutting around the lid on the phyllo with a pizza cutter.



The box of phyllo indicated that 5 of those paper thin sheets were one serving.  Most people spread butter on each thin piece.

Since the points were already racking up I decided to use olive oil spray on each one instead and it turned out just fine.

Cover gently with the phyllo.




Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.





This serves two generous portions at 12 pts a piece.

This is probably the highest point dinner I've ever posted.

Usually I'm kind of a cheap skate about my points.  I never spend that much on one meal because I love to snack and always bank points for my late evening snacks.

But today I was just craving this and I new I'd be better off to just have it instead of eating the house down because I wasn't getting what I wanted.

And, it was totally worth it!

Next time I make it I think I'll add asparagus.




My husband told me he loved it before I had a chance to ask.  That's always a good sign. ;)


Happy Cooking!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...