Friday, February 17, 2017

Miso-Infused Butternut Squash Over Zoodles & Shrimp




I find that I'm using butternut squash more and more because, hey, it's a 0 pt food.

I'm also finding my taste buds growing more and more fond of it.

If you're not as in love with it as I am I would just mention that how you cook it does matter.

Roasting this gives it a much fuller and richer taste.

If you just boil or microwave it it's gonna fall flat in my opinion.

So this is a relatively easy recipe but what I really love is that it's also mega healthy and low in points.

I mean, don't you just love it when you're eating something that tastes great and you know it's good for you?


Ingredients

1 large Butternut squash

3 medium Zucchini, spiralized

1/4 cup caramelized onions(hint: If you don't want to stand in front of the stove cooking these forever check out this post I did on cooking these in the slow cooker ahead of time)

2 tsp White Miso

3 cups fat free Chicken Broth

8 oz pre-cooked Shrimp, tail off

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Cook the butternut squash in the microwave for 4-5 minutes and then give it plenty of time to cool.
It will be very hot.  After cooling cut off or use a peeler to peel off the peel.
Cut it into 1 inch cubes.  Place the cubes on a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with olive oil spray or use a Silpat(silicone baking liner).  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until there is a slight char to a few of the pieces.



In a saucepan add one cup of the broth and bring it to a low simmer.  Add in the miso, whisking to blend.  Don't boil the miso as you'll kill all those good-for-you probiotics.  




After the squash is out of the oven and cool enough to work with place half of it into a sauce pan.  You may also use either vegetable broth or water as a substitution for the chicken broth.

Use a hand blender to blend the squash into a uniform consistency.

Important Note  The amount of broth is an estimation.  Adjust the amount as needed to create a thick sauce.  You don't want it too soupy or too thick.  So add a bit at a time until you have your preferred consistency.  

Next add in the caramelized onion and the rest of the squash and the broth.  Blend well until uniform.
So nice to just pull these out of the freezer to use.


In a separate skillet add one cup of the broth and the zucchini zoodles.  Cover and steam on medium high heat for 5 minutes or so and then check them.

Again, I would cook them to your preference.  I prefer mine al dente.  I don't like them wilted and mushy or dull.



They should still be a beautiful bright green color.

Plate the zoodles and then top with the squash sauce and then add on the shrimp.

This recipe serves 2 and comes out to only 2 pts per serving! 

Woo hoo!!!





 That's one of the fun things about this plan, we're given incentive to eat more veggies.

And because I'm given incentive to eat veggies I'm getting more creative with them.

And you know what?  

It's really fun!  

I encourage you to, not only try this recipe, but to get creative and have fun with your veggies!

Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...