Friday, December 16, 2016

If You See Me Out & About You Just Might See...

I was visiting today with some of my WW buddies in my weekly meeting.

In our pre-meeting(the time before the meeting when we visit and catch up with each other) one of the members mentioned that she felt a little self conscious when she was eating something naughty.

She mentioned that she would feel self conscious if another member saw her eating cake for instance.
I told her that I certainly understood.

In fact I think, if we're all being honest, we've all had those thoughts.

Sometimes even when no one is watching we feel guilty as though we'll be caught breaking the rules.

Old habits die hard and so does guilt apparently.

However, I told her that I too used to feel really self conscious.

I write a weight loss blog for heaven's sake.

What if someone saw me out in public indulging in cake or ice cream, pizza or a full out buffet?

Inside ourselves we probably think they'd think all sorts of negative things about us but I don't think that's based in reality.

In truth, when I see another member indulge I don't think that much of it.

They're in charge of how they use their points and it's their life.

Truly I have come to a place of wanting to be real and honest.

It's more important than having people think I'm something I'm not, even if that means they can see that I'm not so perfect.

In fact, I now find it more of a moral imperative to actually have people see me in this less than perfect light.

To me "perfect" is synonymous with "pretend" and that's not something I want to be.

I work hard not to.

So when you see me out and about you may very well see me eating a cookie or other high point foods.

And when you do I hope what you'll really be thinking is- "She's real.  She still craves junk food sometimes just like I do.  Sometimes it's hard and sometimes it's easy but we're human and the ups and downs are part of this experience.  She may have planned for this indulgence and she may not have planned it at all.  Ultimately it doesn't matter.  Just like I am, she's doing the best she can with what she has where she's at in life and I wish her well".

That's what I would think anyway.

Lightening up on others isn't too hard for me.

I always give them the benefit of the doubt and I want the best for other people.

Doing that for myself is much more difficult but I'm working hard on to correct that.

I think it's like everything else- it takes practice and we have to prioritize loving and accepting ourselves enough to do just that, make it a priority.

As we move into a place of greater self acceptance and self love I think things start really falling into place.

So, the next time you're out and, for whatever reason, you decide to indulge just remember these words.

If you're going to do it at least enjoy it and leave the guilt at the door.

Eating any food without the guilt is food that truly nourishes the soul!

Happy Eating!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...