Monday, October 31, 2016

"It was THIS BIG!" And other small tales




Halloween is now upon us.

Fortunately I can say I've been diligently tracking and making better choices.

Our family is a big one and between my family and my husband's there are usually several celebrations for a single holiday.

It makes it easier on my son and all of us when we spread it out.

And so we started trick-or-treating at my Grandmother and parent's house Saturday.

When we got to my Grandmother's house she had all the good stuff I keep out of my house.

You know what I mean- Twix, Milky Way, Snicker's, Krackel, Hershey's dark chocolate and on and on.

The only saving Grace was that she didn't have any Reese's.

So, I went there with my weekly's saved up.

We sat on the couch and then whole bags of this stuff started getting passed around.

I would love to say I didn't eat any of it but that wouldn't be true.

I had about six of the little Twix pieces and 3 or 4 of these crazy amazing German chocolate malt balls they had.

BUT I tracked all of it.

Here's the thing...

Last night when I went to track it all I was trying to figure out whether I had had the fun size or the snack size of these little candy bars.

As I looked it up and thought about it all a funny thing happened.

In the re-telling of this story somehow the candy bars kept getting smaller and smaller.

"I mean, gosh, they were only like 1/2 inch!"

"So small you'd practically need a microscope to see them let alone track them!"

I mean how could that really count for any points at all?

Um, not so much...

Obviously they were relatively small but they do indeed count.

Funny how all the mind games come right back into play.

It's like a fisherman's story of the "one that got away".

The fish is always bigger in his mind and in the re-telling of the story than it was in real life just like the food we track seems to shrink after the fact.

And that's why we weigh and measure folks.

In the end my more objective self stepped in and I made my best estimation and it wiped out my weekly's.

I still have two more days to get through with festivals and trunk-or-treating so I'm at least trying to make sure I get in more consistent exercise.

Last night when I got home I got on the treadmill.

That's a really big deal for me because I hate exercising in the evening.

I'm a morning person and I get sleepy as soon as the sun goes down.

Even so, last night at 6:00 pm I got on the treadmill and did a 3 mile run/walk.

And I felt better about myself for having done it.

Fish stories are fun but they have their place and on the tracker is not it.

Tracking is like truth telling.

It's funny how we run from it, how it seems almost physically painful to admit things to ourselves and confess to what we've done.

We tend to forget it's not about being wrong or bad and that no one else is judging us.

We're almost always harder on ourselves without the need of any additional help.

It's just about clarity with the choices we're making, stepping back and seeing if they're in alignment with our desires and then making some course corrections.

And that's how we navigate the dynamic waters of life.

Have a Happy & Safe Halloween!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...