Wednesday, October 5, 2016

My Go-To Vegetable Soup



After going through a weekend of overindulgence I usually find I can't wait to get back to my usual eating patters because that's what makes me feel good physically.

If I'm ever low on points, getting back on track, fighting the late night urge to eat or just generally so hungry I feel like I could eat the house down I know it's time to make my vegetable soup.

This is really like the old book I used to read as a kid, Button Soup.

I pull every veggie I have out of the fridge and start cooking.


It looks like a mess but it will be beautiful ;)

I always start with sauteing one whole diced yellow onion.  If I want this to be a zero point soup I'll use broth to cook things so I'm not spending points for olive oil.

Next I add 3 finely diced celery ribs, 8 oz of sliced mushrooms, one cup of chopped cabbage, two cloves of minced garlic, one finely diced Anaheim pepper, one diced red bell pepper and one carrot diced.  I cook this for 10-15 minutes or until soft.



Next I add in spices.  This can vary a lot.  You could use Italian seasoning if you like or whatever floats your boat.  Today I used at least 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/8 tsp cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.  



Then add in one quart of your broth of choice, vegetable, beef, or chicken.  I also add one 15 oz can of diced tomatoes.  

Let this simmer for at least 20 minutes.  




And this is what you get...




TIP:  When I first started WW I had such difficulty with my late night eating that I found it easier to just eat this soup at regular dinner time, 5:30-6:00 pm.  Then I would eat my main dinner at around 8:00 pm.  It may seem late but it really helped me from being too hungry by the time I would eat.  It was also a way to have points to eat that late so I didn't have to feel guilty.  This was a saving Grace for me!

If you're having trouble I'd highly recommend having some 0 pt food around that you can just pop into the microwave.  It will help you stay on track when you're feeling vulnerable.  



Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...