Sunday, May 14, 2017

Weight Watcher's Spiced-Apple Stuffed French Toast Casserole



I saw this on the Weight Watcher's site listed as great meals for Mother's Day.

Since I want to try more breakfast recipes I thought this one would be a good place to start.

It's rather creative making it in the slow cooker and very easy.

Ingredients

4 large, fresh apples(I always use Honeycrisp) peeled and thinly sliced

1 Tbsp unpacked light brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp lemon juice

1 pinch of ground nutmeg

1 pinch of ground allspice

5 large eggs

1 cup low fat milk

1/4 tsp salt

Cooking spray

9 slices of cinnamon raisin swirl bread, sliced diagonally


Instructions

 Combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in a glass bowl; cover and microwave until the apples soften, 4-5 minutes.





In a medium bowl whisk eggs and then add in milk, vanilla extract, salt and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon.




Coat the inside of a 6-qt slow cooker with cooking spray.  Dunk 10 bread halves in egg mixture and arrange in an overlapping circle on bottom of slow cooker; pour cooked apples over top.




Dip remaining 8 bread halves in egg mixture and arrange in a wreath shape around the edge of the slow cooker, leaving some apples showing in center.

Pour remaining egg mixture evenly over the top.

Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.




This recipe serves 12.  Serving size is also listed as 3/4 cup.  This is 4 points per serving.


It looked pretty in the slow cooker but mine wasn't quite as pretty as their picture after I'd cut it.

This tasted good, not best ever, but really good.

Of course I'm comparing this to my own mother's French toast which, in my completely biased opinion, is the best.

This is a great Mother's Day meal.  I had my own parents over to share it with and it made it all the more lovely.

Being a mother isn't as narrow as being the person who physically birthed another.

This includes mothers by blood and by heart.  It includes mothers of pets and adopted mothers to those that need them.

So on this day I wish all the mothers out there, and my own AMAZING mother, a magical day.

  Happy Mother's Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...