Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo




This is another Dashing Dish recipe from Katie Farrell.

I have checked this out so many times at the library that I finally just ordered it and I'm glad I did.

There are just so many good recipes in this book!

This recipe isn't online.  You have to get it in the book.

The only changes I made were changing the grated Parmesan used for the filling from 1 1/4 cups to 1 cup, using skim milk instead of unsweetened almond milk, adding in a pinch of onion powder and increasing the garlic powder from 1 tsp to 1 1/4 tsp.

Ingredients

1 medium spaghetti squash

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt(my favorite is FAGE)

3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese

3 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk(I used skim milk)

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese(for the filling)

1 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Generous pinch of onion powder

1/8 tsp black pepper

1 cup shredded or chopped cooked chicken breast(optional but I used it)

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella(for the topping)

2 Tbsp grated Parmesan(for the topping)

Parsley for garnishing(optional)


Instructions

Precook the squash.  She recommends microwaving it for 5-10 minutes after you've pierced it several times to vent steam.

NOTE:  I tried microwaving it for 10 minutes but was working on the rest of the recipe while it cooked and my squash ended up splitting.  And, since it split I didn't use the shells as she does.



The only difference is that it's more aesthetic to use the shells, filling them like a twice baked potato.

If you don't want to microwave it you can either cut it in half and seed it and then bake it in the oven on 350 F for 45 minutes or pressure cook it.

After you've precooked the squash, and it's cool enough to handle, cut it in half and take out the seeds.

Use a fork to gently scrape the "spaghetti" strands into the center of each half of the spaghetti squash and place on a prepared baking sheet.

Since my shell broke I just scraped out all of the squash insides and put it into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish sprayed with olive oil spray.



Combine the yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, Parmesan, garlic and onion powder and pepper in a blender and blend until the sauce is smooth.



Spoon the sauce into a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute.  Stir and then microwave for an additional 1 minute or until the sauce is smooth.

Divide the sauce equally into the spaghetti squash halves.  Gently toss the spaghetti strands to coat as much as possible with the sauce.  If desired, divide the chicken between the two squash bowls.

In my case I just mixed all of the sauce in with all of the squash I'd put in the Pyrex dish.  I used canned chicken, breaking the chunks up with a fork before I added it in and then mixed everything together.





Top with the mozzarella and 2 Tbsp Parmesan.



Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown.

Sprinkle with parsley if desired.  I definitely desired!  It gave me an excuse and a chance to use some of the parsley I planted.



If you follow my small changes above(change the filling Parmesan from 1 1/4 cup to 1 cup) this comes out to 8 points for 1/4 of the recipe.

If you're talking about an Alfredo anything dish that's pretty darn good!

I'm going to share a secret with you- did you know I've always hated cottage cheese?

I think the texture has always kind of freaked me out but many of the recipes in this book use it and I've decided to keep an open mind.

And, you know what?  I really like all the recipes that use it!

Who knows, maybe some day I'll actually eat and like cottage cheese all by itself.

Stranger things have definitely happened before.

Overall this recipe was UH-MAZING!!!  So delicious and decadent.

Here's another true statement for you- I don't even miss the pasta.

This recipe is definitely worth a try.

You can get your Alfredo fix without blowing your daily points.

That's a really delicious feeling!


Happy Cooking!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...