Saturday, January 7, 2017

Mom's Yummy Turkey Vegetable Soup



My mom has been making this soup since we started WW.

She asked me once what I put in my veggie soup and I told her pretty much anything and everything in the fridge.

Since that time she started making a button soup of sorts and I soon realized I liked hers a lot better than my own.

When I'd ask her how she made it she was a little vague as she wasn't measuring so I decided to come to her house to watch this organic experience.

Without further ado this is my Mom's Turkey Vegetable Soup.


***Please keep in mind she doesn't measure spices so I was guesstimating a lot.***

Ingredients

2 lbs 85% lean ground turkey

28 oz crushed or diced tomatoes

23 oz of tomato sauce

7 oz of carrots(she told me she uses whatever she has- baby carrots or julienne)

16 oz sliced button mushrooms

1 medium yellow onion diced

1 whole diced red(or your color of preference) bell pepper

1 zucchini cut into small bite sized cubes

10 oz of small broccoli florets

16 oz riced cauliflower(she buys the bags of pre-riced cauliflower at Wal-Mart)

1/4 tsp tumeric

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp chipotle chili powder(mom says this is the most important ingredient)

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp Penzy's pasta sprinkle spice blend(this includes basil, oregano, thyme and garlic powder)

1 pinch of celery salt

1/4 tsp tarragon

1-2 Tbsp of Better than Bouillon chicken flavor

16 oz of water







Start by browning the meat.  After it's browned add the bouillion to this and cook for another couple minutes.

Then add everything except the cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli.  Stir.  Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a slow simmer.
Cook for 70 minutes, stirring every ten minutes.

Add in the broccoli, zucchini and cauliflower and cook an additional 20 minutes.

This makes a large stock pot of soup.

The scoop on points:  The only points in this soup are from the meat.  This makes a TON of soup, I'd say somewhere around 16 cups.  So you can decide how much you want to make for a serving.  It's 43 total points for 2 lbs of the 85% lean ground turkey.  

When I put it in the recipe builder I set it to serve 10 which makes it come out to 4 pts per serving.

However, if you use 93% lean turkey it's a total of 30 points and 99% lean turkey is a total of only 15 points.  

The bottom line is you get to decide.  It's definitely tastier using the 85% lean turkey which is what mom always uses.

If you're just starting out on WW it might be smart to use that and make it an easier transition for yourself.

However, if you're used to eating very lean meat then go for the 99% lean and you'll save a ton of points.

That's one of the best parts about WW, you get to decide how you use your points.

Most of us have things we want to indulge on in some areas and then skimp on in others.

Ultimately, you get to decide.


This is so crazy good!  

The best part is that you don't have to feel guilty about eating it.

It's full of fresh veggies and protein.  It's a great way to love yourself slim and honor your body temple, the precious gift God has given you.  

Or you can make it for a friend or loved one.  I love it when my mom makes this for me!

It really feels like a gift because it really supports the goals I've set for myself, nourishes my body and makes me feel oh so loved.  

Thanks Mom!  I love you!

No matter who you make it for it will be a good thing.  

Happy Cooking!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...