Saturday, January 14, 2017

A Big Fat FLOP




I've been stretching outside my comfort zone and actually looking at WW's Connect, their on-line community.

I love how positive and supportive they are of each other.

I love the food ideas they post.

And so I thought I'd try out one of those ideas.

It was from someone whose username is mudhustler and it's for a 1 pt doughnut.

The recipe he listed is as follows so you'll know what I had to work with.

mudhustler
Donut King Waffle Master

Its donut time! #original1spdonut 
All buisness today... killing it in the kitchen. 
1 cup of Kodiak power cakes mix (any of their mixes work in this recipe) 
2 serving or scoops of Quest protein (I used a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of saltedcaramel) flavor of your choice 
1tsp cinnamon (I added a few drops of coconut extract today) 
1tbsp baking powder 
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce 
1 1/2 cup cold water 
375 for 10 min 
makes 12 donuts 1sp each (The topping I used on the pretty little donut in the pic iscoolwhip and a drizzle of walden farms carmel sauce) 



Let me just say the picture on this looked amazingly delicious and I saw that many people had made them and loved them.

I even went to the trouble of ordering a doughnut pan on Amazon.  I got one that had 12 doughnuts and this was a mini doughnut pan.

Really at every step this was a disaster.

But you don't have to just take my word for it, take a look...


It starts out rather innocuous.  Everything looks okay so far... 


But...

After adding the wet ingredients the consistency was so thin I would say it was watery.

Another big "uh oh" as I filled the doughnut pan and had a LOT of leftover batter.

The doughnuts came out and low and behold they've overflowed over the top of the pan.



And they stuck to the pan.



And they tasted like, well, let's just say they tasted awful!



My husband is usually more forgiving than I am with this kind of thing but even he told me they were rotten.

He said, and I quote, "I just kept thinking if I ate more of them maybe I would like them but, man, they're just awful".

So, let me be clear, I'm not disparaging this guy.

It's probably me.  I've probably done something wrong and I really would like this recipe to work because, hey, a 1 pt doughnut is an amazing thing.

Certainly the recipe seems abbreviated.

It would be nice to have more direction and more of what to expect, the consistency of the batter etc.

I may consider giving this another try with a LOT of changes made to, at minimum, enhance the flavor.

The thing is that there's a big learning curve here for me.  I've never been a baker so I don't know how to ad lib as well but I'm determined to make this better.

It was disappointing because I was SO EXCITED to try these because everyone on Connect seemed to love them.

I think that's why it was an even worse experience but again, I probably screwed up the recipe somehow.

If I get this sorted I'll let you know.

Just goes to show you, even after years of cooking I can still make mistakes.

And sometimes even with the best of intentions my kitchen experiments just flop.

But we go on and try again.

And more importantly, we learn from it!

Happy Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. The recipe isn't for a mini doughnut pan, but a full size one. The only other thing is that you should only fill the pan about 1/2 way or they will overflow no matter the recipe. I've made them and thought they were pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I will try it again. Let me know if there are any other changes/additions you make. Thanks Tammy!

      Delete

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...