Friday, January 6, 2017

Just 5 Minutes

I have been listening to a series of talks by Tony Robbins that my Uncle loaned me recently.

One of the things I liked that he talked about was that New Year's resolutions are a big pitfall.

He says the real secret to lasting change are in the little things you do EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Now, when you're thinking about committing to doing something every single day it can really be daunting and intimidating.

But, when I was on the treadmill today I started thinking of the things I want to change.

One of my goals is to become more flexible.

This is one my husband complains about a lot too.

We were talking just today about how it feels hard to find time to go to the gym and do the things we need to do.

Here is what I've decided to do~

I decided to make a commitment to stretch 5 minutes a day every single day.

It's not a lot to ask and it's hard to say you don't even have five minutes.

I plan on doing it in the early morning and I'm hoping to get my husband to do this with me.

The other thing that I read that was really meaningful to me is something Martha Beck wrote.

She talked about how identified we are with an activity or behavior based on the number of times we've done it.

For example, let's take snow skiing.

If you've gone skiing once and someone asked you if you were a skier you'd probably say "I've done it once".

If you've gone skiing twice you might say "I've done it a couple of times".

If you've done it three or more times you're more likely to say "Yes, I'm a skier" if someone asks.

The idea here for me is that, although I know I can't expect miracles in doing five minutes of stretching every day, I think it will help shift the way I see myself and I think about the time I have or that I invest in myself and my health and fitness.

So, I invite you to try this with me.

It doesn't have to be stretching.  It can be anything you want to work on.

I've also committed to 5 minutes of practicing my French daily and it's not too bad.

It doesn't feel too cumbersome.

Lastly, I'm going to leave you with a quote I just love.


"A goal without a plan is just a wish".

                                          Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...