Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Personal Fitness Trackers

There is a lovely lady in my WW meeting who recently asked me to write a bit about the Fitbit.

This is for you Theresa.

I'm the first person to readily admit that I am not an expert and when I started looking into all the brands and options it was a bit overwhelming to me.

So, I decided to at least do a short post on my particular Fitbit which is the Fitbit Charge HR.

I chose this item based on reviews as well as the fact that it is compatible with WW app to log activity points.

Given that I exercise I also wanted to see my heart rate because as you improve your heart pump function that number typically goes down.

The Charge HR, like all other Fitbit products as I'm aware, syncs with the WW app on your smart phone or iPad.

This does not work with the desktop computer to my knowledge.

When you get your Fitbit they give you instructions on downloading their app.

After you've finished that you can go into the WW app to settings.  To get there click the little face icon in the top right of the screen which takes you to your profile.

Then hit the little cog wheel in the upper right of that screen.  You should then see info on syncing a fitness device.

If that doesn't work I would use the 24/7 chat on the site.

As far as the review I would give my device...

Well, there has definitely been some good and some bad.

It's comfortable.  It has a digital clock and display.  It tracks steps, stairs, distance, sleep, calories burned and heart rate.

You can hit a button when you start and stop exercising so it will record that time.

If you want to go to the trouble you can also track your food, water, exercise, etc on the Fitbit app dashboard.

It also has an alarm that vibrates to wake you should you choose.

The battery life is good and it's easy to plug in and recharge.

What I don't like is that you're pretty much stuck with the band you get.

Since I've lost weight I need a smaller band but you can't change out the bands.

I've admittedly been a little rough on mine in the gym when I'm carrying kettle bells but it hasn't been working as well recently.

I'm not sure if that's due to my mistreatment of it or a product flaw.

Since I work in healthcare I would also prefer something that had a clock face with a seconds hand so I could more easily check a pulse.

Lastly, what I have discovered for myself is that I have been doing a lot of strength training with a trainer and other types of activity that wouldn't be counted as significant in the way of steps.

Because of that fact I'm not sure I'd buy another one at this point.

So, it's really a personal choice.

Things to research or look for & questions to ask:

Price

Can you replace the bands?

What does it track?  - steps, stairs, sleep, calories burned, heart rate etc.

Is it waterproof?

Is it submersible? (an important question if you like to swim)

Does it sync with the WW app?

What extra features does it have?  Alarms, blue tooth with your phone etc.


Lastly, I'll leave you with a 2017 Review of the Best Fitness Trackers to read.

I hope this at least helps give you a starting point in your search for a personal fitness tracker.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...