Tuesday, September 13, 2016

When I'm Really Hungry I Eat...



When I first started on WW I remember that difficult feeling of being unsure of what to eat and not really knowing what was going to fill me up.

Years before I had tried the Fiber 35 Diet.  The premise was that if you ate 35 grams of fiber daily you would not be hungry.

Let me just say that I'm the diet's one failure.

I ate fiber until I was blue in the face, beyond the 35 grams she called for, and I was

STILL HUNGRY!!!

Honestly, I think no matter what diet you're doing or what change you're making it's just hard at first because you're making some serious changes.

Getting hungry is sometimes what makes or breaks whether someone stays the course.

So, I started figuring out what my go-to meals were for that feeling of being full- in mind and body.

Probably my top meal to get me through when I'm hungry is Spaghetti Squash with Homemade Turkey Marinara.  

One serving is 1/4 of this recipe.  This is 2 pts per serving for a lot of good and really healthy food!

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground turkey

2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes

1 yellow onion diced

2-3 cloves of minced garlic(I much prefer the fresh garlic but if I'm tired or feeling lazy I use the pre-minced in the jar)

1 red bell pepper diced

2 small to medium zucchini cut into small, bite sized chuncks

8 oz of your favorite type of mushrooms(if you're really hungry go for the baby bella they have a meaty texture)

chicken or vegetable broth for cooking

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

2 Tbsp tomato paste

1 tsp salt

black pepper to taste

a pinch of cayenne




Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Spray a foil lined baking sheet with olive oil spray.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and seed it.  Lay each half face down on the baking sheet.
Cook for 70 minutes or until done.

I like mine well roasted like this.  If you don't take 15 minutes off the cook time.

Place a large skillet on medium high the onion and red pepper.  Use chicken or veg broth to cook and prevent sticking and scorching.  Cook for around 20 minutes or until well done.
Add the thawed ground turkey and cook until done.  Next add the garlic, tomato paste and all the seasonings and cook for two more minutes.














Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms and stir.
Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes to let the flavors blend.
When the squash is cool enough to handle use a fork to pull out the "spaghetti".  
Plate up the squash "noodles" and cover it with that thick sauce.

I added 1/2 oz of shredded Parmesan cheese for just 2 pts.  Doesn't that look like a lot of cheese?!!! That's a 4 pt meal and a lot of food!




I hope this helps fill you up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...