Monday, September 19, 2016

Savory Carrots



Sometimes I get strange cravings.

Truly sometimes the things I like I'm not absolutely sure other people would like but this recipe my husband commented on without my asking so I'm sharing it.

You see my husband isn't a foodie like me.  He eats to live.  Most of the time I have to ask him his opinion about food and I've grown somewhat used to the fact that he just isn't going to get excited about food the way I do.

It doesn't mean he doesn't like it.  It just means he's not the kind of guy to get excited about food.

I made this dish yesterday afternoon on a whim when he wasn't home.  After it was done I ate half of it and then put the leftovers in the fridge.

When he got home he asked what it was, I told him and he ate it.

Then he actually told me he really liked it which was just a shock for me.

That's why I'm sharing it.  I thought it was kind of bizarre but since Mark commented on it I'm sharing it with you.  :)


Years ago my mom taught me to make a crock-pot roast by sprinkling on dry Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix over the top before cooking.



I love that flavor and eating the little bits of onion after it cooks.

So yesterday I was craving that taste but didn't want to make a roast and use more points because I was going to a birthday party later the same day.

Here's what I decided to do.

I preheated the oven to 425 F.

I cut up one pound of washed carrots(0 pts) and cut a yellow onion(0 pts) into around nine large pieces and placed them in a cast iron skillet.




Next I sprinkled the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix(4 pts for the whole pouch) over the top.  




I added 1/2 cup water to the pan and cooked it for 30 minutes.  

At this stage the veggies are going to be sticking to the pan a bit and that's okay.  

At this half hour mark I added 1/4 cup of Marsala wine(I buy the cheap Marsala for cooking) to deglaze the pan along with another 1/2 cup water.  


I stirred it well and then let it cook for another 15 minutes.  




The carrots looked so lovely with a nice glaze to them and they tasted great!






This comes out to 3 pts for one half of the whole batch.  It satisfied my craving and I didn't have the added pts from the meat.  

You never know how something's going to come out when you experiment but it's always fun trying something new and if you get a keeper out of it, well, that's just a bonus.  


Happy Cooking!



1 comment:

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...