Monday, September 26, 2016

Mentoring

Webster's on-line Dictionary defines a mentor as "someone who teaches or gives help and advice to a less experienced and often younger person".

If I were writing the definition I think I'd toss out the ageist aspect of it but the meaning is still there.

Mentoring is advising or teaching someone, anyone of any age, with less experience.

In my own professional and personal life I have been blessed with the experience of being both an apprentice and a mentor.

This is also true in my experience with WW.

From my first day I felt as though my leader and the long time or lifetime members there took me under their proverbial wings.

They encouraged me and inspired me.

By showing up in a most authentic way it gave me the courage to be more of myself.

I think going to my WW meeting was one of the first experiences I have had where there is such an environment of support rather than competition.

Even though I'm now a lifetime member myself I still keep my heart and mind open to what novice and experienced members alike may have to teach me.

One of my favorite concepts is the beginner's mind.

You can think of it this way-

It's hard to learn anything if you think you already know everything.

What do you think you're an expert on?

How could you look at that in a new way?

Who can you learn from?

Remember that sometimes doing things in a new way or seeing things in a new way is where the breakthroughs happen.

Be open to all this life has to teach you.

The answers are just waiting for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...