Thursday, September 8, 2016

Beautiful Mistakes



I've been really trying to get back on track lately and fix things I like and that also fill me up.

One dish I decided to make I hadn't made in a year or two.

At the very end of this process I burned it a little.

I know what you're thinking, "You're posting burned food?  Really???".

Yep.  You heard it here first folks, you're seeing pictures of burned food today!

This is probably the only site you'll ever visit where you do get to see burned food.  :)

Initially I thought about not sharing this with you but then I realized that it was in fact a moral imperative that I do share it.

The truth is that everyone makes mistakes, including me, and I think sometimes it's more helpful to let people see your mistakes instead of trying to hide them and pretend everything is perfect.

That's so not me.


This recipe is for a Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash.  The original recipe was by Wendy Polisi.

Wendy has some really great recipes.  Her recipe for quinoa black bean burgers is my all time favorite though it would require either spending weekly's or slimming down the recipe a bit.

So, I decided to make the stuffed butternut squash but I decided to change it up...

a lot.

Instead of having a more Italian flavor I decided to go Southwest and spice it up.

Before I get to the recipe I wanted to give you a quick word about quinoa for those of you unfamiliar with it.

There are several different types.  The better known types are white, red and black.
My favorite is the red.  The white seems more bitter to me and the black has a good flavor but a crunchier texture.

All quinoa will have a bitter resin on it and you must put your quinoa in a very fine mesh strainer and rinse it before you cook it.  

After it cooks it will look as though it has a little white "tail" or string coming off of it.  That's normal.

Also a safety tip:  if you're working with hot peppers like the chipotle I recommend you wear disposable gloves and do not touch your face.  It's too easy to get pepper burns!  I've done this in the past too and let me tell you it doesn't just easily wash off your hands.  Please be careful friends!


Now on to the recipe!

Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash
6 Smart Points for one half of this recipe!  It's a TON of food!!!

Ingredients

1/2 cup of uncooked red quinoa(rinsed)

1 medium butternut squash

8 oz of sliced white mushrooms

1 yellow onion diced

2 cloves of minced garlic- shouldn't every recipe call for garlic? :0)

1 red bell pepper diced

1/2 tsp smoked paprika(this is a miracle spice)

2 tsp chili powder(you can do this to taste)

2 chipotle peppers minced(you can use less or omit altogether if you don't like heat)

1 oz reduced fat Mexican cheese

chicken broth for cooking

salt to taste

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Cut your butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil spray and place the squash face down on the sheet.  Cook for 60-70 minutes or until done.

After you've rinsed your quinoa you need to cook it.  Put the quinoa in a pan with 3/4 cup of water. Bring it just to a boil and then reduce the heat to slow simmer and cook for 12 minutes.  I do not have any water left over to drain off and it doesn't stick to the pan when it's done.  That's how you know you've cooked it correctly in my book.

In a separate skillet saute the onion and peppers on medium high heat for 15-20 minutes using broth to prevent scorching or sticking.  Obviously you can substitute vegetable broth here.
Next add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Add the smoked paprika and chili powder and cook for another 3 minutes or so and then turn off the heat.

When the butternut squash is done pull it out and let it cool off enough to handle it.  Scoop out the insides leaving a 1/4-1/2 inch border to give the shell some stability.  I only used half of the butternut squash that I scooped out and set aside the other half for another recipe on another day.  

Add the half of the squash you scooped out to the skillet with the peppers and onions and mix well.
Next add the quinoa to this pan and mix well.

Put your stuffing into the squash shells and top with cheese.  Mine is the one on the right that has 1/2 oz of cheese.  I gave my husband a full ounce.




Place it into the oven on broil checking it at one minute intervals.

This is where mine burned!!!!!  I put it in for 4 minutes and checked it after 2-3 minutes and it was already too late.




When you broil anything let my mistakes be your saving Grace!!!

NEVER LEAVE YOUR OVEN WHILE IT'S ON BROIL AND CHECK IT OFTEN !!!

The truth is that it really wasn't burned too badly and I still ate it and it was good.



My husband ate it too.

And you know what?

That's real life baby!  Sometimes it burns and we eat it anyway!

Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...