Friday, September 30, 2016

Shrimp Alfredo "Pasta"




This is a recipe I've always been curious about but have been a little afraid to try.

Maybe it's more like I've just been plain skeptical.

This is an alfredo sauce that's made with cauliflower.

My first reaction was just "yuck!" but then I remembered that I try to keep an open mind.

So after looking at several versions of this I finally settled on this one from a website called pinchofyum.

Since I was giving this a test run I decided to just follow the instructions and not ad lib.

Here's a peek of a recipe in the making~


Boiling cauliflower




Pureed cauliflower, milk and seasonings.


I served this over spaghetti squash to further cut the points and threw in 1 lb of shrimp.  I put this in the recipe builder and it came to 6 pts for 1/4 of the whole recipe which is a lot.  This includes adding 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan to the sauce.  

In truth I don't crave pasta nearly as much as I used to so substituting spaghetti squash really isn't a hardship for me.  I don't feel like I'm missing out.

And here's what I would change~

I love garlic, I mean really love, love garlic but the garlic in this was too overpowering.  

Perhaps my cloves were bigger than the ones she used but either way next time I'm toning it down(never thought I'd hear myself say that).

I also love salt.  I would go as far to say I'm almost a salt-a-holic though I wish I weren't.  

This recipe seemed too salty for my tastes so next time I'm cutting the salt in half.  

Overall I thought this was surprisingly good.  It was definitely better than I expected.

When, like a good server, I asked my husband what he thought of it while he had a mouth full of food he just looked at me and gave me the thumbs up sign.  

I think I may also consider adding minced chipotle pepper for a smoky flavor at some point or using smoked paprika.  

It may also be quite tasty with 2 oz of white wine.

The blog site I got this from also suggested adding it to rice.  Really I think there are a lot of possibilities.  

The raw truth-  

Does this taste just like real Alfredo sauce?  No, but close.

Is it worth it?  For me, yes.  Your run of the mill restaurant style Alfredo sauces run 50-100 grams of fat per cup serving!  That is just INSANE.  My other issue is that I detest the store bought sauces.  

There are some foods I love, um sweets, where there are times I'm just not going to go low fat and skimp.  

If you love Alfredo you may just want the real thing but it's not a big priority for me so I think I would definitely use this recipe again.  

It's certainly fun to try something new.  It's even more fantastic when you know it's healthier and tastes nearly as good as the real thing.  

Happy Cooking!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...