Sunday, September 25, 2016

How To Cut Winter Squash

One of the things I've always relied on my husband to do is cut the watermelon, pineapple or squash or other hard-to-cut items.

Admittedly when he's home I still ask him to cut them for me most of the time however, there are times he isn't home and I want to get dinner started.

So, I found this video on cutting a spaghetti squash and it worked like a charm for me.

I also found this video on cutting a butternut squash.  This one is a Martha Stewart and I know that makes some of us groan but I have to tell you she has, in part, taught me to cook.

One thing I did learn the hard way from cooking many of her recipes is to watch for recipes that have several ingredients that also say "see recipe".

That's never a good thing.

It means there's a ton of work ahead of you however, I don't think I've ever made one of her recipes that didn't taste fantastic.

I guess it just depends on how much work you want to do.

The next method I found was to microwave it for a few minutes before peeling or cutting.

I haven't tried this one but I also saw this on the WW site.

This chef suggests possibly boiling her acorn squash for a few minutes but I doubt I'd go to that much work.

Cutting a kabocha squash can be a real challenge due to its odd shape but this video looked promising.

Since we're moving into fall I can't wait to try this one as I love kabocha!

They're creamy and delicious roasted or used in stews but they're usually tough to cut.

Last week I roasted an acorn squash in the oven and ate it plain.  It was so insanely buttery and delicious I kept moaning while I ate it.

My husband is used to me by now though.  He just shakes his head and laughs.

He knows he married a foodie :)

Now that you have some ideas on how to cut winter squash give it a try.

Winter squash are zero point, beautiful comfort foods that just make you feel nourished from head to toe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...