Monday, March 20, 2017

Tex Mex Baked Spaghetti Squash



I got this recipe from Myfitnesspal.  You can find it here.

This is another recipe where I'm not gonna make you wait for the verdict, mostly because I can't wait to tell you.

This is FANTASTIC!!!!

I absolutely loved this recipe and it was relatively easy to make.

I did omit the olive oil and used reduced fat cheddar instead of regular cheese to bring down the points.

I also reduced the amount of red pepper flakes as this was very spicy hot.

In addition, since I didn't have fresh coriander I used 1 tsp of ground coriander and 1 Tbsp ground cumin.

If you don't have coriander don't sweat it.  You can just use the cumin and it will be great.


Ingredients

3 oz shredded cooked chicken breast

1 Tbsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground coriander

1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup fresh salsa, sugar free

1 medium to large spaghetti squash

1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese

3/4 tsp red pepper flakes

olive oil spray



Instructions

Preheat the oven to 425 F.  Spray a foil lined baking sheet with olive oil spray.  Cut and seed the squash then lay it face down on the baking sheet.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until done.  Set aside to cool.  Set your oven to broil.



In a small bowl mix the cheese and red pepper flakes and set aside.



Once the squash is cool enough to handle fork out the flesh into a large bowl, keeping the shells to stuff later.  Add the chicken, salsa, cumin, coriander, and beans to the bowl of squash.  Mix well.
I even used my hands here.







Stuff the squash shells and then top with the cheese and pepper mix.



Broil for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.



Again, don't forget what I now call the Golden Rule of broiling~

NEVER WALK AWAY FROM THE OVEN WHILE BROILING!

Watch it closely because it cooks fast and it's really easy to burn.  I know this from first hand experience.  ;)

This makes two very generous servings at 9 pts a piece.

I will absolutely make this again.  It was utterly delicious and so filling.



Happy Cooking!


2 comments:

  1. This looks good! I made the SkinnyTaste Turkey Taco Spaghetti Squash Boats this weekend, they were really good too. Hubby approved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo.. that does sound good! I love pretty much anything from skinnytaste. Her recipes are reliably delicious 😊

    ReplyDelete

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...