Saturday, March 11, 2017

Grilled Shrimp With Marinated Cucumbers, Kale, and Cauliflower




This is another Rocco Dispirito recipe from his book The Negative Calorie Diet.

I picked this up from the library and it's almost time to return it so I had to try just one more recipe.

This one is basically a cold salad.

It's very fresh, light and different.

And you know me, I LOVE trying new things!

I especially love trying things that I know are not just low point but also really good for you and this is all of those things.

Ingredients

2 Tbsp lemon juice

6 caper berries, lightly chopped

1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

4 cups thinly sliced cucumbers

2 cups grated cauliflower (grated on large side of box grater)

1 1/2 cups finely chopped kale, tough ribs removed

Salt

Baharat spice blend (available at ethnic and many grocery stores.  I used a Moroccan spice blend instead)

Olive oil cooking spray

16 oz peeled, cleaned, and deveined shrimp

Instructions

Combine the lemon juice, caper berries, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl.  Add the vegetables and toss to coat well.  Season with salt and baharat spice blend.





Preheat a grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat.  Spray the shrimp with cooking spray, then season them with salt and the spice blend.  Place on the grill and cook on each side until lightly charred and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.

Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss quickly to combine.  Spoon the mixture onto four plates, diving it equally, and serve.

--------------

This was refreshingly different and delicious.

It was easy to make too.  I used the box grater as he instructed but next time I'll just rice the cauliflower in my food processor.

The Morroccan blend I used was fine.  I haven't ever had the baharat spice but I would like to try it someday.  I was just too cheap and lazy to go out and get it today.

I had the very small sized shrimp on hand which would be difficult to grill so I sauteed them on the stove top.

Let's talk points~

This serves 4 and comes out to 1 pt per serving!

Woo hoo!

Doesn't it just feel good to know you're eating a 1 pt salad?!!!

Love it!




Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...