Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Mexican Cauliflower Rice



This is from skinny taste.  You can find the recipe here.

I had also seen a somewhat similar recipe on Martha McKinnon's Simple Nourished Living.

In the end I started out with the intention to cook it per the skinnytaste directions because I am partial to her recipes.

However, I didn't have a fresh jalapeno or fresh tomatoes on hand and didn't feel like going to the store.

I also felt like having the meat in there to make it more substantially filling and add taste.

What I found is that after adding the skinnytaste spices it wasn't enough for me so I added taco spice to taste.

I also rarely find that one teaspoon of olive oil is enough to saute onion without it burning to the pan so I use oil to prevent scorching and sticking.

Overall this was relatively simple and tasty.



Ingredients

4 cups cauliflower crumbles

1 lb 93% fat free ground turkey

1 tsp olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 can diced tomatoes

Taco spice

1/4 smoked paprika

1 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp cayenne

2 cloves of garlic, minced

Pinch of dried cilantro

2 Tbsp tomato paste

Salt

Black pepper

Broth of choice



Instructions

Place rinsed cauliflower florets into the food processor and pulse until you have a consistent texture.



Place a skillet on medium high heat and add the oil.  When it's hot add the onion and cook, using the broth to prevent scorching, until it is cooked well, around 10 minutes or more.  



Then add in the tomatoes and spices.  Mix well and then add the cauliflower "rice".

In a separate skillet brown the turkey.  Once browned add it to the rice mix.  Let it cook for another five minutes to blend flavors.  



The verdict?

This was really good.  It doesn't look so pretty but it tasted great.

My husband often complains that the recipes that use cauliflower as a substitute often "still just taste like cauliflower".

He liked this better than other cauliflower substitute recipes I've tried and I think that is due in part to the extra spices.

This serves 4 and comes to 5 pts per serving.  


Happy Cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...