Friday, June 30, 2017

Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus With Savory Breadcrumbs


This is a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while.  There are loads of similar recipes but I sort of made up one of my own.  

I did see a magazine that listed a recipe for prosciutto wrapped around slices of pear and arugula so I thought I'd try that first.  I mean, easy peasy right?  


Yes, it was easy peasy but it wasn't all that good.  It was fun to try though.  


So, I decided to move on and try something else.  

I wrapped bundles of 3 asparagus with one slice of prosciutto then placed it in a sprayed Pyrex dish.


Next, I mixed two Tbsp of Panko(Japanese bread crumbs) with 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan and 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp dried parsley.  


I toasted the breadcrumbs on a sprayed skillet until they just started to lightly brown.  


Then I removed them from the heat and sprinkled them over the asparagus.

I had extra asparagus so I threw them in and put breadcrumbs over them as well.  


I baked this at 425 F for 15 minutes, until the asparagus was tender.  

While that was baking I made myself a salad with all that leftover arugula, pears and added feta and 1 pt Panera Poppy seed dressing.  


Here's how they came out~



The verdict?

They were good, but honestly I think I'd like these just as well or better with regular bacon.  

I'd use the pre-cooked Hormel Black Label bacon.  It's low in points and way, way cheaper!

Let's talk points-

It's 6 points for 2 oz of prosciutto.  That's the whole package.  

The breadcrumb mix comes out to 2 points for the whole mix.  

That's 8 points total and then you can divide it up however you like.

I think this would serve 4 nicely which would put it at 2 pts per serving but you can decide how you want to divvy it up.  

I think these make a nice appetizer or side.  

I would also mention that with the prosciutto it comes out a bit salty even for me.  

Lastly, the plain asparagus with breadcrumbs were also really yummy!

So, bottom line- next time I'm not paying for the prosciutto and will use Hormel Black Label bacon instead.

With those changes it will be a keeper!

It's always an adventure!



Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...