Thursday, June 1, 2017

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends


Last weekend my inner binge monster was raring to go.

My weight has been up and I've been struggling to get it, and myself, under control.

Unfortunately the head game seems to be that the harder I try the more I want to eat.

And, while one certainly can eat out on WW it's not something I can do when I'm in this permissive mood.

I know, and my husband knows, it would result in me going overboard big time and making a choice that doesn't serve me or the goals I've set for myself.

So, this past weekend the dialogue looked something like this...

Me:  Hey Honey, you wanna go out to eat?

Mark:  Not really.  We have a lot of good food at home already.

Me:  Yeah.  Okay.  You're right(cue the resigned sigh).

I go home, verbally praise my husband for helping me stay accountable while doing a mental fist pump that I stayed strong.

Before bed I resolve that tomorrow I'm really going to be good...

The next day I got up feeling confident and ready to take on the world.

Evening comes and that confidence begins to wane a bit...

Me:  Hey Honey, wanna go out?

Mark:  No.

My son:  Why not Daddy?

Mark:  Because Mommy and I are trying to get healthy.

Me:  deep sigh(subtext:  You stink head!  Gosh I just wanna go out to eat!  Why can't you just shut up and enable my bad habits already!  Geesh!).

I will say we did finally go out to Ruby Tuesdays but I only got a salad bar and a side of boiled shrimp.

After that I may have gone to get a frozen custard but I didn't get the regular fatty McFatty one I got the little(as in normal human being portion of 1/2 cup) kiddie hot fudge sundae.

Really it looked so small in comparison to the regular size they could call it something like a "micro sundae".

Wouldn't we all feel better about eating a micro sundae?

I know I would.

"Yes, I'll have the micro sundae please" I would say.

People would probably look at me like I was really chic or something.

Micro sundae calories don't stick as much I think.  

Yes, I'm kidding, and totally laughing here.

But that's real life guys.

Sometimes it's just hard.  Sometimes we struggle and we slip or even fall.

But the good news is we're never too far gone.

We can always pick ourselves back up and dust ourselves off.

In this moment for me that looks like someone who just keeps showing up.

You keep doing the best you can and forgive yourself when you miss the mark and try again.

Until next time...

Keep showing up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...