Friday, June 23, 2017

Faux Potato Mushroom & Chicken Soup



On Father's Day the three of us decided to make a day of it together.

On a whim we decided to take our son canoeing for the first time.

I didn't have a lot of time to cook but I wanted to fuel up before we left.

Glancing around my kitchen I saw my ugly, but sweet celery root(celeriac) and decided to use that.

It was a bit overcast so I felt like making a soup.

This is relatively easy in my opinion and low in points.

Gotta love that combo.

I do have a somewhat similar post that I've done before but this time it's a bit easier.

My awesome leader, Nancy, has really turned me on to the pre-cooked canned chicken and mushrooms.

It saves loads of time!

This is a great thing when you're tired.

On with the show....


Ingredients

1 large celery root(or two small ones if you can't find something large)

1/4 cup caramelized onion

3 cloves fresh garlic

1 (12.5 oz can) of chunk white chicken breast

2 cups chicken broth(or broth of choice)

1 (8 oz can mushrooms)

1 cup skim milk

1/4 tsp smoked paprika

Parsley to garnish with if desired

1 cup water

Salt & pepper to taste

1 pinch of cayenne(more if you like it hot!)


Instructions

First of all, if you've never seen a celery root, here's what they look like-



They're kind of ugly, gnarly little things but they're really pretty great.

First thing to do is to supreme it which means you very carefully start cutting the outer skin off.


After that I start cutting thick slices and then cube it into 1 inch chunks.



Add the water and two cups chicken broth to a large pot and then add in the celeriac.  

Turn up the heat and bring it to a boil.  Boil for at least 20 minutes or until the cubes are fork tender.

Next add in the caramelized onion and, using a garlic press, 3 cloves of fresh, pressed garlic. 

I keep pre-measured 1/4 cup servings of caramelized onions in my freezer.  You can find out how I make big batches in the crock pot here.  



I'd highly recommend doing this.  Cooking them in the slow cooker saves gobs of time and they get that lovely caramelization without have to stand at the stove forever.  

But the best part is the flavor you get without all the added points.  This has to be one of my all-time favorite kitchen hacks.  My freezer is always stocked with these babies ;)

Once you've done that use a hand, emulsion blender to blend it all together in the pot.

Be careful that the hot liquid doesn't splash out and burn you!



Once it's well blended and smooth add in the milk.  

Stir and then add in the mushrooms. 

I use my clean hands, or you could use a fork, to break up the chicken chunks until it has a more shredded consistency.



After you've shredded the chicken add that into the pot and stir well.

Let this cook for another 5 minutes or so on low-medium heat.



There are no potatoes in this soup and yet it absolutely has a lovely potatoey texture.

This serves 4 at 4 points a piece.

This is pure comfort food, in taste and texture.  

It will stick to your ribs as the saying goes.

And, it's only 4 points!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...