Friday, June 16, 2017

Tofu Lo Mein



I had to have an excuse to use the liquid BRAGG coconut aminos so I decided to give this Asian dish a try.

This is similar to the spiralized parsnip recipe I made.  If you missed that one you can find it here.

FYI- my husband said he thought it was the absolute best spiralized recipe he'd had.

This time around I used WW Skinny Fettuccine pasta.  It's 0 pts so you gotta love that.

It definitely cuts down on the points.

I also just felt like eating tofu today, something my son loves, so I made this with the addition of tofu.

That's the fun of these types of recipes, you can keep the same framework but change it up a thousand ways.


Ingredients

1 box(2 pouches) of Weight Watchers Skinny Fettuccine pasta

1 (14 oz) package of extra firm tofu, cut into 2 in squares

2 Tbsp BRAGG coconut aminos

1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 onion, diced

8 oz of baby bella mushrooms thinly sliced

broth of your choice

2 Tbsp oyster sauce

1 carrot, finely diced

1 tsp Truvia

2 clove of fresh garlic

soy sauce


Instructions

Place the squares of tofu into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish with a thin layer of soy sauce to coat the bottom of the squares.  Let them sit for a couple minutes and then flip them over.

Set the tofu in a non-stick skillet with a little broth if needed and cook for 3-4 minutes.  Flip them and cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side.  Set the tofu aside.

Rinse the skinny pasta and then cook in a skillet on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes.  This will help soften the flavor and texture.

Set aside.

In the same skillet heat the sesame oil and add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat.




Add in the bell pepper and mushrooms and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the mushrooms soften and reduce.  Use broth as need to prevent sticking or scorching.



Either mince the garlic or use a garlic press and add in the garlic cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.  I've recently started using my garlic press again and I'm loving it.  It saves a ton of time mincing!

Now add in the oyster sauce, 1 cup of broth, Truvia and the coconut aminos.  Mix well.

Add in the skinny pasta and stir to blend it all in.

Plate it up and enjoy!

I serves 4 at 4 points per serving.  

I think Asian stir fry is probably the best way to eat WW skinny pasta.  It's rather like tofu, it takes on the tastes of whatever it's cooked with.

Asian stir fry seems to be the tastiest flavor for these.  The coconut aminos were also really good.  The coconut flavor is very subtle.

If you like it spicy you might also add in a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.

However you make it I hope you enjoy this guilt free dish.




Happy Cooking!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...