Sunday, June 4, 2017

Mmmm... Hash Brown Waffles!!!!!



So recently I saw a Connect friend, heavens13, post that Ore Ida hash browns were only 2 pts per 1 1/4 cup serving.

Did you hear that?  Only 2 pts for potatoey heaven!!!!

Now I'm not a hash brown nut.  To be honest it's just not something I think about much but when I saw the points there I thought it was time to revisit the hash brown.

Then I got my Cooking Light magazine and, like a sign from God, they had a simple-as-could-be recipe for hash brown waffles.

Apparently this is a trend unto itself and intriguing enough I wanted to give it a try.

This uses a standard sized waffle maker.  I only have a Belgian waffle maker so I had to borrow my mom's.

Most of the recipes I saw use raw potatoes that you cook and shred yourself.

Why do all that work when you don't have to?



Ore Ida has done it for you!  lol

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups of Ore Ida hash browns(measured thawed)

cooking spray

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1 oz diced, cooked ham


Instructions

Heat up your waffle iron and spray it well with cooking spray.



In a bowl defrost the hash browns and then mix well with the spices and ham.



Add the hash browns in small clumps evenly over the waffle maker, close the lid and cook for 3 minutes.



I had this in medium high heat and it too around 12 minutes or so to brown them.



These came out super crispy!  

I think mine look a little less waffle shaped than the ones in my magazine but it's my first go at it.

Next time I'll probably make it a bit thicker or I may get brave and try my Belgian waffle maker.

Let's talk points~

Again, Ore Ida hash browns are 1 1/4 cup per serving and comes out to 2 pts.

So this is one I think you'll have to sort the points out on.  

It depends a lot on how big your waffle iron is and how thick they are and how much you decide to eat.

There are a lot of variables.  

One ounce of ham for the whole recipe doesn't add any points to the total per serving value.

Overall, this recipe was adventurous and delicious!  

I love my hash browns crispy and they definitely were.

More than that I think this recipe was easy and has a lot of potential.

Just think of all the things you could do with this-  you could use the little mini turkey pepperonis and have a pizza type flavor, you could use a little Gruyere cheese(swoon!) or maybe even some liquid egg whites. 

The possibilities are endless! 

It's so much fun being creative in the kitchen.  

Let me know if you come up with some creative waffle dishes here.


  Happy Cooking!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...