Saturday, June 3, 2017

Mushroom & Artichoke Smothered Chicken & Rice




This is another one of those make-it-up-on-the-fly kind of recipes.

I'd looked at several recipes tonight but none of them were exactly what I wanted so I improvised.

Really, that's the fun of cooking if you ask me.

One of the things I've been wanting to do is make something with artichokes.

Summer rolls around and I just think "artichokes!".

What's so great about them?




Artichokes are packed with antioxidants, loaded with fiber and other vitamins.

They are a SUPERFOOD!!!



Here's a fun article about these little cuties if you're so inclined.

I actually snacked on extras I had while I was cooking.  That's soooo much better than snitching high point junk.

I think once you read up on this powerhouse you just might start craving them too.


Ingredients

6 oz chopped artichokes

1 cup skim milk

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, trimmed of fat

10 oz of thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms(more if you love em'!)

1 yellow onion, chopped

Salt & pepper to taste

1/4 tsp Garlic powder plus more to sprinkle over the chicken

1 1/2 cup cooked wild rice

cooking spray


Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a cast iron skillet(or other non-stick, oven safe pan) with cooking spray.  Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Brown the chicken on both sides.  The chicken breasts I used were rather thick.  I cooked them around 4 minutes on each side.


I always cook up the fat scraps for my mom's sweet dog, Bella.  She loves her chicken!
And it keeps the trash from stinking!!!



After browning take off the heat and add in your onions and mushrooms and place in the oven for 15 minutes.




While it's cooking in the oven get a small saucepan out.  To it add the milk, cheese, chicken broth and flour and whisk until there are no lumps.



Cook it slowly on medium heat, whisking constantly.  Cook just until it thickens and then take off the heat.

After the chicken has cooked pull it out of the oven and add in the milk mixture and artichokes.



Next add in the rice and stir to mix in.

Serve hot and enjoy!



I set this to serve 6 which comes out to 5 points per serving.  

I was really pleased with this, especially for a throw it together meal.

I hope you'll give this a try or at least think about adding more artichokes to your own diet.

They're a 0 pt superfood!


Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...