Thursday, June 22, 2017

Surviving Maintenance

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".

Albert Einstein said those words and lately they've been haunting me.

I've come to a realization that I'm trying to do the same things I did for the new place I'm at in life.

What I've come to understand is that maintenance is in a whole other zip code and head space than losing was in.

Yes, tracking, eating smart and weighing in will always be tools to use but I think it's become pretty clear by now that I need to do some psychological re-wiring.

So, I'm going back to the most fundamental thing that worked for me before, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT).

Of course I'm specifically talking about addressing sabotaging thoughts as I've learned to do after reading The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck.

What I realized is that, although some negative thoughts will always be there for me to challenge, there are some new ones now that are very specific to being a Lifetime member.

Before I get into that I want to give some input on other things I think would be really helpful.

I really think that people who are doing WW should be required to take a transitions class after making goal.

I think they need to get a heads up into the mind games that will be played and the way it will feel.

In addition I think it would be helpful to have sessions available for people who have made Lifetime but are struggling.

It would be a support group specific to the struggle of maintenance.

The other thing I realized is that when you're losing you're constantly rewarded with small charms for all the little goals:  first 5 lbs lost, 5% lost, 10% lost, 25lbs lost, and so on.

If you don't do Weight Watchers you may not be able to fully understand this but those little charms are a really big deal to your psyche.

Although we'd like to think we don't need little rewards the truth is that those little charms feel like a REALLY BIG DEAL when you're getting them and they really do help keep you motivated.

I think this is in part due to the fact that you're getting tangible evidence of your success.

It rewires your brain to start seeing yourself differently.

Now, you're successful!  Hooray!

The problem is that once you hit Lifetime there's not as much fanfare and it becomes more monotonous.

It's tough.  Anyway, on with the CBT...

Here's one of my sabotaging thoughts and how I'm choosing to answer it right now.

Sabotaging thought:
Maintenance is HARD!  This is way, way way harder than losing was!  This stinks!  I feel like I can't do it.  I've lost motivation and I just want to eat like I used to.  I feel like I've earned the right to eat.  I just want to pig out.  Why can't those dang cravings just go away forever?  Why can't I just be done with all this?!  I'm so frustrated!!!!

Response:
You're right!  It IS hard but you have a choice; you can either wallow in self pity and resign yourself to this mindset and gaining back all the weight you worked so hard to lose or you can choose to do the work that is before you.  The fact is that you're still learning.  Lifetime is not the end because there is no end.  You don't get it done.  Maintaining the healthy weight and body you want takes a Lifetime commitment to this work.  The good news is that you've done this before and you can do it again.  You have the skills and you know the program works if  you work the program.


There's going to be more at a later date.

I can feel it bubbling up...

But for now it's a good start.

Just remember, if your'e struggling, you're not alone.

We all do.

But the other thing that I also know is that we can all do this!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...