Friday, September 29, 2017

Sweet Dumpling Squash



You know how excited I get when I find a new-to-me vegetable?

I found another one!

This was just waiting for me at Wal-Mart.

It's a Sweet Dumpling squash.  The interesting thing about this is that it's shaped like an acorn squash but has the coloring of a delicata squash.


Isn't it pretty?!


I made something very similar to a recipe I previously made that you can find here
To prepare the squash this time I cut it in half, seeded it and placed it on a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

I baked this at 425 F for 45-50 minutes.  





Quite honestly I wasn't planning on posting the stuffing but it turned out so good I went ahead and put it out there.

The only down side is that I don't have a lot of photos for you.  

Nevertheless, here's the stuffing I made up~

Ingredients

1 lb 93% fat free ground turkey

1 red pepper, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

8 oz of sliced mushrooms

1 small, diced tomato

1 cup Jasmine rice, cooked

1 medium zucchini, diced

Taco spice and chili powder to taste

1/2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp cumin

8 oz tomato sauce


Instructions

I browned the ground turkey and then added in the garlic and peppers.  Cook this for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.  

Then I added in spices to taste- taco spice(I'm approximating 2 Tbps), 1/2 tsp or so of onion powder, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin.

Stir that up and then add in your tomato sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms.  Let this cook for at least ten minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Next add in the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.  I like my zucchini al dente.  No mushy zucchini for me please.

Finally, throw in the rice and stir to mix.  

Stuff each of your squash halves.  

I set the stuffing to serve 4 which is pretty generous.  

This comes out to 5 pts and let me tell you, the girl who never seems to get full, yours truly, was STUFFED!!!

Word to the wise~ if you are having trouble getting full make this meal!!!

You will be pleasantly full.

And, it tastes wonderful!!!  

It was one of those times that after I made it I said to myself "Why don't I make this more often?".

And, the bottom line on the squash?

It's FANTASTIC!!!!

I really thought is was sweeter and more smooth than the acorn squash.

The flavors blended so well with this stuffing too!

This recipe is a keeper at my house and I hope it will be one in your house too. :)



Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...