Friday, September 1, 2017

Sausage & Lentil Soup


I was browsing magazines at Barnes & Noble and found this recipe.  I'm so sorry to say I forgot to see which magazine this came out of but the recipe is below.  I'll post the magazine name hopefully within the next week.

This recipe looked healthy and delicious.  It also made me dream about the cooler weather coming our way as we move toward Autumn.

And, with Fall & Winter come delightful and healthy options for comfort foods.

This thick soup fits the bill.  



Ingredients

1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed

1 large onion, diced

2 celery ribs, diced

1 medium carrot, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp fennel

1/2 tsp dried oregano 

1/2 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional

2 cups dried lentils, rinsed

2 cans(14.5 oz each) no-salt-addded diced tomatoes, undrained 

2 cartons(32 oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth

minced parsley, optional

Fat free plain Greek yogurt, optional


Instructions

In a large stock pot brown sausage, using broth as needed to prevent sticking and scorching.

Remove from the pan and set aside.

In the same pan saute onion, celery, and carrot until tender, 4-6 minutes.

Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute.  






Stir in sausage, lentils, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove bay leaf.  







Transfer 5 cups soup to a blender; cool slightly.  Cover; process until smooth.  Return to pot; heat through.  






If desired, top servings with yogurt and parsley.




Had to get another shot of that lovely soup bowl mom got me ;)
Thanks mom!



My soup doesn't quite look like the picture in the magazine in part, I think, because maybe I pureed too much of the soup.  

I don't think it affects the taste but it does change the texture and appearance and you know how I am about my food looking pretty.

So, next time I'll puree less soup.  I might also add in kale.  It would be pretty but the added depth of texture would also taste lovely.  

Let's talk points-  This recipe serves 12(3 3/4 quarts total).  Each serving is 1 1/4 cups and 5 points per serving.

The taste was great!  It's very hearty and definitely makes me think about Fall.

This will keep you warm through the Fall and Winter.  


Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...