Sunday, September 3, 2017

Quiet Moments of Grace



This holiday weekend we took a trip to see my in-laws.

So many times this weekend I found myself in reflection.

Before I started WW I would have been terrified at the idea of going out of town and outside of my control environment where all the points were safely calculated.

I would've been afraid to go out to eat or to be at the whim of what was fixed for me.

This time was different.

It's about a 3-4 hour drive to my in-laws and we stopped in the morning on the way there to get breakfast.

I was feeling a bit ornery and permissive and told my husband to get me a mocha without any specifications(my usual is tall sugar free soy mocha).

When he came back to the table he leaned over to me and said "The guy asked me if I wanted skim or whole milk in the mocha.  I told him skim and to make it a small".

I didn't feel irritated or offended.

I felt supported.

My mother-in-law actually made a very plan friendly meal of stir fried veggies with chicken breast.

She made a peach crisp, knowing I love crisps, but I stopped after I was 2/3 done because I was full.

When we stopped off at Wendy's for a bathroom break on the way home my son asked for a hamburger.

I looked at my husband and asked him "Are you getting anything?".

"No" he said.

Then we had one of those married couple moments when there is a whole unspoken subtext~

"Are we really doing this?  Going in and not getting a thing?".

"Yep.  This is a choice we're making.  We're choosing health today".

So neither of us got a thing and for some reason the manager smiled at us and said my son's meal was on him.

But what I appreciated most of all was just the general feeling of peace, of not feeling the anxiety of "don't do this" or "do that", " eat this or that".

I was mindful and unashamed.

I listened to my body.

I ate when I was hungry and I stopped when I was full.

I didn't worry about my next meal but knew I would be provided for and that it would be okay.

It was the most wonderful feeling, something I've missed most of my life.

And whether it's here to stay or just an intermittent visitor, I'm thankful.

I'm so thankful for these small, quiet moments of Grace.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...