Sunday, October 9, 2016

Turkey Taco Stuffed Acorn Squash



Tonight was one of those nights.  I worked all day and left late.  On the way home I started thinking about what my dinner options were, or more accurately weren't, and realized I would need to come up with some quick fix for dinner.  

I went to the grocery store on the way home and bought ground turkey.  

Before I share this really quick and easy recipe I have to tell you about my "Bravo!" moment in the grocery store.  

As I said I had worked all day, left late, and did I mention I was starving???!!!!

It was one of those days where you're hungry even when you shouldn't be.  

One of my favorite things to eat is croutons.  

My mom will say I spent one whole year of my life eating croutons alone, much to her chagrin.  

Sadly, croutons aren't the most nutritious, low point or filling option.  

And, they're something I can usually just binge on.

So here I am at the grocery store tonight and I just so wanted those croutons.  

I went to the crouton aisle.  

I stood in front of them and stared.

The desire to buy them was sooooo strong!  

"It would feel so good to eat them and the taste, ugg, sooo good!"  I thought.  

And then, I walked away.  

Yup.  

I knew if I bought them I'd eat the whole bag in a blink.  

I mean come on, salty, crunchy, snaky.... is there anything better?

I'm so happy I was able to say no and, as Judith Beck would say, strengthen my resistance muscle.  

Victories are won one moment at a time.  ;)

So I came home and browned 1 lb of 99% fat free ground turkey.

Then I added taco spice(I buy this in bulk from SAM's).  I would add this to your taste preference.  I use a LOT.  

Then I added one whole can of diced tomatoes.  



I cooked up jasmine rice(1 cup cooked) in my steamer and then added it in to the turkey mix.  




I cut the acorn squash in half and microwaved each half with 1/2 cup water in a Saran covered microwave safe bowl for 10 min.  




Then I stuffed the squash with the turkey mix.




This tastes insanely good as is.

But....




Isn't everything better with cheese?!  I added just 1 Tbsp part skim mozzarella.  

The grand total is 4 pts for half of an acorn squash, 1/4 of the turkey mix and 1 Tbsp part skim mozzarella.  

Not bad for something that tastes this good and is unbelievably filling!

It takes a lot to fill me up but this really did.  

Even my husband said "Wow Honey, I usually want to snack while we watch TV but that stuff is so filling I didn't want anything else".  

Thank God for small gifts!  Feeling full, happy and satisfied with dinner definitely is one!

Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...