Tuesday, July 25, 2017

WW Broccoli & Sausage Casserole



I believe this is the fourth time I've made this WW recipe.

It's just absolutely delicious.

The only problem I've had with it is that I usually want to eat more than the one serving.

So, this time I'm going to change it up a little and add pre-cooked mushrooms to bulk it up.

Hopefully it won't be too wet.

I'm also going to throw in some cauliflower to help bulk it up.



Ingredients

4 cups broccoli florets

1 cup cauliflower florets

1 lb lean turkey breakfast sausage

1 cup chicken broth

6 oz of part skin mozzarella(the original recipe uses all reduced fat cheddar but I only had 1 oz on hand)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 tsp black pepper

12 oz of Italian bread

2 cloves of garlic

8 oz of sliced baby bella mushrooms


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Spray a foil lined baking sheet with olive oil spray.

Slice the bread in half length-wise and rub insides with a fresh garlic clove.  Place bread, open-faced, on one side of a baking sheet.  Spread the onion on the other side.




Place broccoli & cauliflower on another baking sheet. Spray the veggies with cooking spray.



Bake both baking sheets of bread and veggies for 20 minutes, stirring veggies halfway through.

I liked my onions cooked well done so I transferred them from the pan with the bread to the pan with the veggies to cook them longer.  That is optional.

Remove the bread from the pan.  When it's cool enough to handle cut into 1/2 in cubes.



Reduce the oven to 350 F.

Brown the ground turkey in a non-stick skillet, using extra broth if needed to prevent sticking and scorching.



After it's browned add in the mushrooms and cook until well done.  Add in all the spices, veggies, bread cubes and the 1 cup of chicken broth and stir well to combine.

Coat a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish with cooking spray.  Spoon half the mixture into the pan.  Then top with half of the cheese.



Spoon the remaining mix into the Pyrex dish and top with the remaining cheese.



Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.






Slice into 8 pieces.   Each serving is 7 points making it this way.  

The points are a bit different on the WW website.

I'm pleased to say this did not turn out too wet with mushrooms.  In fact, next time I may add even more!

Cooking them first really helps.  I also really loved the cauliflower in there too.

But the best part?  BIGGER PORTIONS!!!!

That's what veggies do for you.  I worried that the bread would be lost or sparse in here but it wasn't at all.

This was still, absolutely delicious!!!

I hope you give this gem a try.


 
Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...